Anubias Leaf Diseases?

Wil

Got some Anubias Nana from Aquashella Dallas this past weekend, (great time). When I got home I put them in the tank in their cups until I would have time to set them where I wanted them. A few days later and I noticed some whitish speckles on one of the leaves. It looked like substrate just sitting on the leaf but I have black sand as substrate and it does not brush off. The spots feel raised and sticky and are not easily removed when scraping with my nail. It is only on one or two leaves right now. Any ideas on what this is and the treatment. I am thinking I'll pinch off the affected leaves but wanted more understanding incase it persist. 20220811_075045_HDR.jpg.ccd10373ae286c4caae59293049355b2.jpg20220811_075003_HDR.jpg.186a60bf4e87c83461fc1326d81ae08b.jpg

Very possible they are limpets (microsnails).  Grab a magnifying glass and check for movement.  My advise is to let the plants soak in seltzer water in the dark for 12 hours (weigh them down so they don't float). The carbon dioxide will benefit your plants but kill pests (even if they are not limpets) and algae that hinder the plants.

Check out the Reverse Respiration thread for more info.

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/24465-reverse-respiration/

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 8/11/2022 at 6:05 AM, Wil said:

Got some Anubias Nana from Aquashella Dallas this past weekend, (great time). When I got home I put them in the tank in their cups until I would have time to set them where I wanted them. A few days later and I noticed some whitish speckles on one of the leaves. It looked like substrate just sitting on the leaf but I have black sand as substrate and it does not brush off. The spots feel raised and sticky and are not easily removed when scraping with my nail. It is only on one or two leaves right now. Any ideas on what this is and the treatment. I am thinking I'll pinch off the affected leaves but wanted more understanding incase it persist.

Hi @Wil

It could be limpets as suggested but there are a couple of other possibilities such as calcium nodules or scale insects (yes they do not look like insects as we would typically think of them).  If you run your finger over the white area is 'sticky' chances are the plant was grown emersed that is scale.  If the nodules are hard chances are it is a calcium (lime) deposit as a result of being grown in water with a lot of calcium.  Try wiping the leaves with a soft cloth with a solution of 1 tablespoon of white vinegar mixed with  1 quart of water.  The nodules should dissolve.  Will they return?  It depends upon how much calcium you water has.  Hope this helps! -Roy