75g Blackwater Amazon River Biotope Stocking

asondhi

On 8/12/2022 at 1:57 PM, IanB said:

@anewbieMine were wild-caught leopoldi. I have, however, only kept six of them and, in my experience, and as you suggest, angelfish have very individual temperaments and personalities. I have one clearly dominant male angel, but none of the others challenge him at all. He periodically makes little "charges" toward the other leopoldi but never makes contact and they dart off. My tank is only a 75g but it is *very* heavily planted to the point that fish can hide for days without being seen in the back half, with the front mostly open for swimming. I have found that, contrary to my research, they do really well with large diamond tetras who laugh off the leopoldi's aggression, getting them to seemingly leave everyone else alone. The leopoldis did eat every amano shrimp of a group of 40 I put in (all small--my expensive error) but have been fine with tetras as small as embers and horned nerite snails. I could just have gotten lucky with this group, though. Given your experience, scalare might be the safer option, since so many people have success with them and the leopoldi are just less known.

I think i might try them again - i'm setting up a 4x4x20 inch black water tank next year so might as well as give em a stab. The tank i had them had thick amount of plants but the blackwater tank will not be as thick as plants generally don't grow that thick in blackwater.