Easy Carbon for Algae?

Brandxn

I’ve tried to get rid of some algae that’s been covering my plants and nothing seems to be working. I’ve added Amano Shrimp, Nerite snails and Otos. I try and dose Easy Green 1 pump a week (20g tank) but nothing is helping. I recently changed my Hygger light from the all day cycle to a 12hr cycle to see if it’ll help but I recently saw the Easy Carbon and was wondering if you guys would recommend it and what you think of it. 

C71418F2-7450-4200-903B-D224E0FC87B2.jpeg

858802D5-38A0-4D2A-8D43-D651F8849C1B.jpeg

DD16DFC9-3FB2-419C-AB4F-124EEC1EC885.jpeg

E2357E7A-E687-494C-81A0-05E09335F945.jpeg

CCF058A0-DBAA-4CED-94BE-5A92B439421A.jpeg

95E68CAE-1932-4069-8BDD-6FB3B27BD7B8.jpeg

Edited by Brandxn

Can you try a 6 or 8 hour light duration? 12 hours is a long time. Also perhaps splitting up your fertilizer dosing. So one pump is 1ml, use an oral syringe, and do .5ml twice a week, or .14 ml a day (1 divided by 7). This way the plants can intake what they need at a steady pace. The algae doesn't have a huge influx that slowly depletes over a week to take advantage of.

• Like 1

I like easy carbon over excel. I’ve had some issues with fish dying with excel. They both use Glutaraldehyde, which is an algae remover. Flourish Excel, when applied in big quantities, can kill fish but I have used it a the 5ml and had bad results. Saying that easy carbon has Glutaraldehyde but I have not had use but I would guess there is a chance of over dose but with east carbon the pump is calibrated so one pump is for 10 gallons. Even though they both have Glutaraldehyde there formulas are different. 

@Brandxn, those products do work but with 12 hours of light you'll still be constantly fighting algae. I'd try 6-8 hours. Over time that'll go a long way towards balancing your tank and clearing the algae. I'd also add another pump of Easy Green. That'll help the plants grow faster and outcompete the algae. 

I occasionally use Excel (Glutaralgehyde)  according to the directions for the initial dose to kill off stubborn algae like the staghorn in your picture. After that I’ll use the occasional dose at the daily level, but it's strong stuff and I try to use as little as possible. It’s better to rely on your light period and cleaning crew. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

I like easy carbon over excel. I’ve had some issues with fish dying with excel. They both use Glutaraldehyde, which is an algae remover. Flourish Excel, when applied in big quantities, can kill fish but I have used it a the 5ml and had bad results. Saying that easy carbon has Glutaraldehyde but I have not had use but I would guess there is a chance of over dose but with east carbon the pump is calibrated so one pump is for 10 gallons. Even though they both have Glutaraldehyde there formulas are different. 

@Patrick_G is right about the light. 12 hours is to much.