A turtle tank without a canister filter.

RetroFeesh

So I'm thinking about converting my current 20 gallon long with a musk turtle from canister filter to air driven/power head. My current filter is one of those sun sun filters that does something 300gph and it has no adjustability what so ever. I already have the large sponge filter from the store and thought about pairing it with the power head to keep current in the tank. For some extra biological filtering  I would add the Ziss filter on the other end. Is it actually possible to ditch the canister for turtles?

I run two sponge filters and two canister filters on my 150g Macleay river turtle tank. I would recommend keeping the canister as turtles are crap machines. Sure a sponge and Ziss filter could filter the tank, but the tank would be pretty cloudy. IMO keep the canister filter. 

On 8/3/2022 at 9:29 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

Do you have quick disconnects on lines if so, I have read that it's possible to slow down the flow. I`ve never tried that but don`t see why not.

If you’re talking about the part where the hoses can separate from canister without having to drain then yes I do. Please do enlighten me on what you’ve read.

Just that you may close down both shutoffs to slow the flow into the tank so if the valves are full open then if you close halfway its 50% or more but not sure if that would hurt the pump. I would say caution needs to be used. Overheating??

I use a DC pump that can be adjusted for flow, right now I have set to 25%. I use a spray bar that works very well. (Eheim 594) I forget who told me these.

Guppysnail told me about the Fluval and I got a 107 and 207 series they work fine and yes you can adjust the flow.

I hope this helps somehow.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:04 PM, RetroFeesh said:

I would add the Ziss filter on the other end. Is it actually possible to ditch the canister for turtles?

As mentioned above, the ziss doesn't really hold a lot of muck compared to other filters.  You can run a HoB or something, I would run 2-3 ziss at minimum but that's hard to do in that size of a tank. 

Something like the 407 might be a good fit, but I don't really know a better way to handle it.  I have used the ziss a lot, I use them as an add-on for the specific purpose of hosting bacteria and not for mechanical filtration.  It does trap some, but it's not really suited for that purpose in my user experience.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:49 PM, RetroFeesh said:

I may look into the 407 a little bit

I have a Fluval 107 on a 20L and have it cut back to about half flow it seems ok. 

I prefer a round canister filter because they hold a lot of whatever you want to pack into them. I haven`t looked into how many canisters have a replaceable pump but that's the way to go.

On 8/4/2022 at 7:02 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

I have a Fluval 107 on a 20L and have it cut back to about half flow it seems ok. 

I prefer a round canister filter because they hold a lot of whatever you want to pack into them. I haven`t looked into how many canisters have a replaceable pump but that's the way to go.

What do you have in your tank out of curiosity. 

• 2 weeks later...