Trimming and thinning densely planted stems

Hey everyone I just had a quick question about my 29g. I have a bunch of rotala in my background and recently in the mornings there are 1 or 2 bare stems floating on the water surface. This makes sense due to the lack of light able to reach all the stems especially to the bottom. I’d like to trim all the tops and remove the bottoms and replant the tops only to help thin things out again and make room for more growth my question is how should I go about this without throwing off the balance in my aquarium? I love the look of the wall of stems but it’ll grow back in no time! I’m at the point where I don’t really have anywhere left to replant the tops and I’d like to clear out some of the bare stems.0F807841-BC4D-41B5-B58F-D2A3B366CBA4.jpeg.881981ac7ae61bb51ac7bf5f45a8b7e1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/2/2022 at 8:46 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Just pull the plant out, cut the top portion you want and simply replant it. I just toss the unwanted portions in the outside gardens.

I’ve done that before but not on this large of a scale will it throw the balance off pulling that many stems trimming the tops and replanting?

On 8/2/2022 at 10:46 AM, Slick_Nick said:

I’ve done that before but not on this large of a scale will it throw the balance off pulling that many stems trimming the tops and replanting?

It will not. If you reduce plant load a bit, drop nutrients just a bit. I always water change after big plant cutting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2022 at 12:59 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

It will not. If you reduce plant load a bit, drop nutrients just a bit. I always water change after big plant cutting.

Sweet sounds good I appreciate your help! Looks like I have some work to do this weekend!

• Like 1