Double Filter Setup

NanotankBank

On 7/29/2022 at 10:25 AM, pjust9 said:

So I wanted to start a tank with two sponge filters and I wanted a little bit of insight. Would there be a beneficial reason to put one filter on each side of the tank as opposed to putting them next to each other on one side? 

The idea is that that with two points where water is drawing from you could reduce areas where there are dead spots as at any point in the tank, you wouldn't be too far from the filter.  If you have them together you would have higher flow close to the filter so some people advocate putting them closer to each other closer to the center of the tank.  I haven't really experimented and I don't think there is a big difference.  You will have a bigger impact on flow from the size of your air pump.  Do what you like aesthetically and if you see some detritus building up in dead spots, sponge filters are really easy to move around.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:25 AM, pjust9 said:

So I wanted to start a tank with two sponge filters and I wanted a little bit of insight. Would there be a beneficial reason to put one filter on each side of the tank as opposed to putting them next to each other on one side? 

Yes..... but it's not really too critical.

I'll explain it, but then draw some diagrams and what not. 

With the filters side by side there is two things that could happen.  First, they compound with one another in some capacity.  This could be minimal in practice, but in terms of flow you have something pulling water towards the other so they are working in parallel (circuit term).  You also might have a loss of filtration on the middle bit, especially if the filters are touching one another.  Which brings me to frankenfilters.....

Let's say your plan is to use the medium size.  Buy the large and try this if you feel like it.  I cannot promise any of it will work well at all, but it's a fun test if you wish. (just make sure the bases can actually sit next to one another)
image.png.47b391432653f6876e10016ab6cbc44e.pngimage.png.e0414d48067fdccc020d9ef3ee6866f3.png

And then they combine like Optimus prime and Omega Supreme!
image.png.0f3508d670ca356fa10c41896186b02b.png

That would "help" them maximize efficiency if you wanted to set them right next to one another.  ACO doesn't sell the replacement foam pieces, so this is definitely not a reversible mod 😞

OK SO.... fun tangent aside.... here's the slight tweak in flow.

image.png.3886ad263211bbfd4390ea59c84b0b5b.png

image.png.4ab338ff98554bb9fe5c96f613412384.png
There is also the issue of balancing the filters themselves so the flow itself is even.  Here's an example of that.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The good thing about sponge filters is that you can experiment pretty easy (very easily repositioned or modded). I personally have it on the ends to try to decrease dead spots and aerate the whole tank. But give whatever you think is best a go, keep an eye on water parameters, look for signs of dead spots and adjust. Aquarium keeping is experimenting.