Paleatus Cory breeding.

TeeJay

Hey all. I have a ten gallon setup with 6 pale corys and a couple of guppy's. I was thinking of trying my hand and breeding Cory's. I would take the guppy's out and put them into my main guppy tank. It's setup with a sponge filter and a tidal 35. Planted as well. Would a ten gallon be large enough for this purpose. I'm not looking to breed a large amount. Mostly just to be able to supply my other tanks with them. Any advice would be appreciated. A couple of pics of the tank are included.

IMG_20220727_181854799.jpg

IMG_20220727_181841191.jpg

• Like 2

If there is no one to eat the eggs I've found Cory numbers generally increase over time (as long as you have at least one healthy female and an appropriate male). I've never pulled the eggs I did find one fry in vase of broken miss balls once that caused a panic . So if you are just after a wait and see yay a few made it must pulling the guppies will probably be enough

Edited by Flumpweesel
Had more to say
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 6:56 PM, Brandon p said:

Agree again. I have luck with heavy plants like think moss on the bottom.

On 7/27/2022 at 6:27 PM, Flumpweesel said:

If there is no one to eat the eggs I've found Cory numbers generally increase over time (as long as you have at least one healthy female and an appropriate male). I've never pulled the eggs I did find one fry in vase of broken miss balls once that caused a panic . So if you are just after a wait and see yay a few made it must pulling the guppies will probably be enough

I’m going to disagree at some point, maybe just to do it!

• Haha 1

So a 10 gallon will hold 6 paleatus, good filtration and weekly water changes would be great. Cory do better with a sand substrate, Im sure they will love all the plants ! Cory will devour eggs and fry, I see them actually hunt the fry so survival rate is low in a community tank. Mostly they lay eggs on the glass but sometimes "hide" the eggs in the plants. If you want to try getting some fry....You can trigger breeding with live food and cool water changes. Ive had the best success by gathering the eggs, putting them in a floating bowl in the parent tank with a few bubbles from airline. Feed micro worms or live brine shrimp after 3rd day, daily water changes in the bowl. In about 3 or 4 weeks they can go in a grow out tank. Keep the eggs you want to raise ( I get about 40 % to release into grow out tank ) let the breeding group take care of the eggs you dont want.

Hope there was some help here....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have almost never kept Cory on sand so I don’t think that is necessary but I do agree that if you have gravel it should not have sharp gravel. I would also remove the eggs and hatch yourself. There is a co-op YouTube video that has Dean discussing it.

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 7:20 PM, Brandon p said:

I have almost never kept Cory on sand so I don’t think that is necessary but I do agree that if you have gravel it should not have sharp gravel. I would also remove the eggs and hatch yourself. There is a co-op YouTube video that has Dean discussing it.

Trying to find that video. I'm sure I'm over looking it.

On 7/27/2022 at 7:00 PM, TeeJay said:

Trying to find that video. I'm sure I'm over looking it.

Hit up the video on the ACO channel for cataclysm specifically about breeding corys.  It's a fun hour and you learn a TON about breeding all kinds of fish.

This rock right here..... I would add some moss to it if you can, probably about 1-2" long would work fine.  Once they see a place to lay they like, they likely will.  If there is a place for the fry to hide, that usually helps encourage the parents as well.  In my first tank where I got them to breed I had 6-10 moss balls and rocks where they could get under a ledge and hide, ohko stone is good for that type of a structure too.  I had seiryu with these little ledges and moss all over the top surfaces.  10G should be fine, just keep up with WCs and try to keep low nitrates. 

image.png.be3d2221941a69aefb5e1d268c5a580b.png

On 7/27/2022 at 4:20 PM, Brandon p said:

There is a co-op YouTube video that has Dean discussing it.

This might be it. 

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1