Yellow plants

Brandon p

I have very good lights and have been looking for colors. I have gotten the red plants going well and just thought I could try some different colors. I saw some yellow plants in a YouTube video but you never know how easy there are to get and if my skill is up to them.

• Like 1

There’s a gold melon sword Echinodorus osiris ‘Gold Melon’ that is significantly more yellow than most swords.  Anubias nana ‘Golden’ is a bright lime green but the closest to yellow I know of in the Anubias family.  There are a few varieties of Java fern that have yellow and even a touch of orange in the tips of their fronds under the right conditions, ‘Fishtail’ and ‘Sunrise’, both can have some yellow and there’s another one I can’t think of right now.

For stem plants with yellow, you’d have to get answers from someone else.  Stem plants are not my forté.

• Thanks 2

On 7/28/2022 at 7:26 AM, Odd Duck said:

There’s a gold melon sword Echinodorus osiris ‘Gold Melon’ that is significantly more yellow than most swords.  Anubias nana ‘Golden’ is a bright lime green but the closest to yellow I know of in the Anubias family.  There are a few varieties of Java fern that have yellow and even a touch of orange in the tips of their fronds under the right conditions, ‘Fishtail’ and ‘Sunrise’, both can have some yellow and there’s another one I can’t think of right now.

That reminds me, there is also the new anubias pinto or pinto white.  It's a variegated version of the white.  (I promise I have no idea what that means apart from seeing Jimmy's videos, LOL).

Anubias Nana Pinto White Live Easy Rare Aquatic Aquarium Plant – Glass Aqua

It has a very pale yellow color when growing well.

• Like 2

I’ll look into it and the video 

This is what made me think about yellow. My tanks are normally at temps suggested for this plant as most are 80 -82 and the hing end for this one I believe is 79. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185506432642?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ZHrK42e1QSu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=v0AGUAjUSm-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

On 7/28/2022 at 6:39 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

new anubias pinto or pinto white.

I've seen that on ebay and I'm tempted by it but not sure I have strong enough light for such a pale plant 

On 7/28/2022 at 8:57 PM, Brandon p said:

This is what made me think about yellow. My tanks are normally at temps suggested for this plant as most are 80 -82 and the hing end for this one I believe is 79. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185506432642?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ZHrK42e1QSu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=v0AGUAjUSm-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That is a very striking plant - if I saw that in a store I'd probably give it go even though swords are a bit hit and miss in my care (my tanks suffer horribly from my impulse purchasing). 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 4:29 PM, Flumpweesel said:

I've seen that on ebay and I'm tempted by it but not sure I have strong enough light for such a pale plant 

That is a very striking plant - if I saw that in a store I'd probably give it go even though swords are a bit hit and miss in my care (my tanks suffer horribly from my impulse purchasing). 

I have the same impulse. I’m good with swords it one of the plants I really like to grow.

• Like 1

It might have to wait a month. The raised the power bill were I live. I paid $100 more for thes same amount of power as last month. That was pretty avg. people that use more power had up $200 more for the same the lowest was$50 increase. I’m don’t have to worry about hearing any tanks. I have the air set at 83 degrees when I normally would have it set at 78 and for people here that is to warm for most. I might dig in to the emergency fish cash. I was looking to buy another female king tiger and 3 males

On 7/28/2022 at 5:32 PM, Flumpweesel said:

I'm hoping a topping up my substrate will tip the balance for me

I used the extra from the pore tank to hit the 75 gal but it wasn’t enough to make a difference other than lighten things up. 

On 7/28/2022 at 5:42 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Ouch that steep the energy prices crazy everywhere now, new fish can wait as much as it bugs us. 

Yes it’s a wired system. My city buys power from another company and the hike for the other company was only about $25. So if you live outside the city your rates went up but it was reasonable. Yes the fish should wait. Plus I haven’t even made the call to my two favorite breeders to see if the would sell an adult female. They are not always willing to sell a female ready or close to ready to breed. Its about having relationships. I think it’s best to wait but a plant could appear 

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 2:57 PM, Brandon p said:

I’ve seen other pics of ozelot red and they aren’t that yellow.  Maybe that one is.  I’d try it for sure if I was looking for yellow.  My bet is it will arrive much more green between the red spots.  Worth trying, though.

• Like 1

Echinodorus Yellow Sun is the one that comes to mind (unless of course you just want to starve your plants of N and/or Fe, then you can turn them all yellow). Even Yellow Sun is more of a green/yllow with a brown pattern than a vivid yellow.

61GC21jKt8L._AC_SL1000_763x700.jpg

When I get home, I can try and remember to post a pic of the Echinodorus Yellow Sun grown in in my aquarium.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/29/2022 at 12:00 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’ve seen other pics of ozelot red and they aren’t that yellow.  Maybe that one is.  I’d try it for sure if I was looking for yellow.  My bet is it will arrive much more green between the red spots.  Worth trying, though.

They aren’t but the picture sent me on the chase. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 3:57 PM, Brandon p said:

I'll try to grab a pic when I get home, but I have an Ozelot Red in my 75 gallon South American high tech and it is like most of the red swords in that the top of the leaves getting the most light will turn a deep red-copper while the underside of the leaves will be more of a lighter bronze-yellow. So you will see bits of yellow but mostly the red when it is in your aquarium. I would definitely not consider it a "yellow" plant more than any of these copper/red swords (think also of the more green-yellow leaves/pads that Tiger Lotuses sometimes put out).

Edit: Red Ozelots will be totally fine at 80-82.

Edited by IanB
Added temp info
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 2:07 PM, IanB said:

I'll try to grab a pic when I get home, but I have an Ozelot Red in my 75 gallon South American high tech and it is like most of the red swords in that the top of the leaves getting the most light will turn a deep red-copper while the underside of the leaves will be more of a lighter bronze-yellow. So you will see bits of yellow but mostly the red when it is in your aquarium. I would definitely not consider it a "yellow" plant more than any of these copper/red swords (think also of the more green-yellow leaves/pads that Tiger Lotuses sometimes put out).

Edit: Red Ozelots will be totally fine at 80-82.

Thank you

I’m ok with a change in color it doesn’t have to bright yellow. I saw the pic on eBay and I don’t exactly trust plant pic on there because it’s the best one they ever had and maybe they only one that looked like that. I was just thinking something other than red and green. A variegated plants could fit the bill.