sponge filter cleaning

On 7/25/2022 at 3:16 PM, Rusty Sprinkler said:

Honestly... who has read that you should clean your sponge filter in tank water and squeezed it out in the tank turning the tank into an apocalyptic bog ? ME...

I may have had a “friend” that did the same thing with an HOB sponge back in the day.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 3:16 PM, Rusty Sprinkler said:

Honestly... who has read that you should clean your sponge filter in tank water and squeezed it out in the tank turning the tank into an apocalyptic bog ? ME...

That probably began as someone saying to rinse them in tank water, due to the mistaken belief many people have that if you rinse them in tap water the chlorine will kill off the bacteria colony.  As I said, that's not correct anyway, at least for filters in established tanks.  I probably wouldn't rinse out one from a new tank in tap water.

If anyone is curious about where I got my information, see below.

On 7/26/2022 at 11:56 AM, JettsPapa said:

That probably began as someone saying to rinse them in tank water, due to the mistaken belief many people have that if you rinse them in tap water the chlorine will kill off the bacteria colony.  As I said, that's not correct anyway, at least for filters in established tanks.  I probably wouldn't rinse out one from a new tank in tap water.

If anyone is curious about where I got my information, see below.

In Cory's nitrogen cycle video, he is saying that not all the beneficial bacteria live on the filter.  They are split between the other things in the tank as well: substrate, decor, etc.  So even if theoretically you kill the bacteria on something (ie: sponge filter), there are other things in the tank that still carry it, and you should be OK.

Same thing that Jason from Prime Time Aquatics said in his video as well.  Jason is a microbiologist, BTW.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea