Plant ID (Christmas moss?)

Can anyone tell me what this is attached to my driftwood? I think it may have started as a piece of either Java moss or Christmas moss that broke loose from the main clump but it looks a little different. 

BTW, are you supposed to trim the mosses or do you just let them go and do their thing? 

Thanks for any advice or tips! 🙂

20220720_205423.jpg

On 7/21/2022 at 10:49 AM, Guppysnail said:

That looks like algae not moss probably a type of hair algae. Some tanks I trim my moss. Some I do not. That is a what look you prefer thing. 

Gotcha', thanks for clarifying. I didn't think it looked much like the other moss I have in there. Is hair algae anything to worry about in small amounts? Does it usually grow fast and run rampant or can I rest easy? 🙂

On 7/21/2022 at 11:03 AM, rdflash0788 said:

Gotcha', thanks for clarifying. I didn't think it looked much like the other moss I have in there. Is hair algae anything to worry about in small amounts? Does it usually grow fast and run rampant or can I rest easy? 🙂

I grow it or some similar carpet algae on purpose on pleco caves and wood. I trim it like I do plants. I think it looks cool and naturalistic. 

It’s great for fry. Tons of microfauna call algae home giving fish live foods and environmental enrichment. 

• Like 2

Check out these about moss. 

Before and After 20gal moss tank and loach

Moss substrate Brandon and you can see how moss can change and look. Different 

I tried to link but didn’t work.

BBA030D8-42F5-45AF-9287-BA729E4514C8.jpeg.a8f09ec052ca8e9b775c12629e993cb0.jpegthis is the opposite side I decided that this needed to go so a little hydrogen peroxide and now the angelfish are actually eating off of the dying or dead algae.

B1FDFCF7-8AF3-4070-9687-953920DC3757.jpeg

Edited by Brandon p

If that algea is the same algea I have it seems to grow kinda slow and I like that all the hairs seem to come from a center spot that plucks off easily. Kinda like when you pull weeds and you get all the roots on it. I don't think it will readily show up again too fast

• Like 1