Question About Lighting and Timers

FLFishChik

Ok, so I want to put my aquarium on a smart timer and I watched Irene's (Girl Talks Fish) video about timing and she mentioned she sets her timer to 8 hours with 1 hour ramp up and 1 hour ramp down. I don't understand "Ramp'... as in what does that mean? (Sorry... electronically and technologically challenged here).

• Administrators
On 7/20/2022 at 1:30 PM, FLFishChik said:

Ok, so I want to put my aquarium on a smart timer and I watched Irene's (Girl Talks Fish) video about timing and she mentioned she sets her timer to 8 hours with 1 hour ramp up and 1 hour ramp down. I don't understand "Ramp'... as in what does that mean? (Sorry... electronically and technologically challenged here).

The "ramp up" is for lights that have a sunrise and sunset mode (like the Fluval 3.0 as an example). With those type of lights, you can gradually increase the brightness when the lights turn on (like the sunrise), and the same but opposite dimming effect for the evening. If you have regular lights that don't have that function, they will just turn on and off with your timer. 

I hope this helps.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:33 PM, Zenzo said:

The "ramp up" is for lights that have a sunrise and sunset mode (like the Fluval 3.0 as an example). With those type of lights, you can gradually increase the brightness when the lights turn on (like the sunrise), and the same but opposite dimming effect for the evening. If you have regular lights that don't have that function, they will just turn on and off with your timer. 

I hope this helps.

Ah, now I understand! Thank you, Zenzo!!! Now I gotta go search for lights with this function because it sounds cool!

• Like 1

I have recently set up 2 tanks with the fluval 3.0 lights mentioned above and I really love them a lot. They're a bit pricier but it's super nice to just set and adjust times easily on the app, and to customize the color profiles for each tank individually. 8 hours ended up being a bit too long for me but I could adjust both lights within just a few seconds, which lets me experiment more to find the best setup. 

On 7/20/2022 at 1:30 PM, FLFishChik said:

I don't understand "Ramp'... as in what does that mean?

Ramp up/down just meaning a "slow progression" in either direction.  Some fish get really spooked if the lights just turn on. Plecos is a good example of this.  They might run into the glass or hardscape and injure themselves.  Essentially the slow ramp allows the fish to acclimate to lighting windows and become adapted to the brightness instead of a harsh beam all of a sudden.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2022 at 3:37 PM, FLFishChik said:

Ah, now I understand! Thank you, Zenzo!!! Now I gotta go search for lights with this function because it sounds cool!

I have the Hyger 957 light which has this functionality.  It has some quirks and the Fluval 3.0 is a much better light overall - I went the cheap route though.  If you are in that price range, I think it is a decent light for the money.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2022 at 6:01 PM, _Eric_ said:

I have the Hyger 957 light which has this functionality.  It has some quirks and the Fluval 3.0 is a much better light overall - I went the cheap route though.  If you are in that price range, I think it is a decent light for the money.

I'll look into it! The Fluval 3.0 is a bit outta my budget (cost more than my entire tank set up)!

If your lights are LED, you can connect an LED dimmer/timer to ramp the power on and off.
I have the Stingray lights with a $13 dimmer connected to it. So it ramps on/off over a 15 minute time period.
Not as good as the Fluval app, but way better than typical on/off outlet timers.

The dimmer goes between the light and the power cord. So your connection is:
LED light --> Dimmer/timer switch --> power plug connects to the outlet.

Just check to make sure the dimmer connects will fit your light cables.