TEMPERATURE

SC Fish

Endler guppy tank even at night is at 30 degrees celcius due to the extreme heat in uk. Its just another day of this but im scared for them.. 

Ive been turning on the ozugen every so often and keeping the small fan on for as long as possible but its only changing the water bumy like 1 degree. The heater is usualy set to 27 in winter so it reaches 25 but now i set it to 24/25 a few weeks ago.. tommorow what do you recommend i set it to?

Its night rn and it is at 29.

The tank has a lid and these are jumper fish. The lid is made of package foam so it doesnt really let heat out well..

Basically.  What do i do??? To keep temps at around 25 (lower than 30)

Edited by SC Fish

You can float ice inside of bags to help lower the temp or coke cans just float it at the top right under the lid you will have to switch the can every 30 min or so due to it not being as cold. When it got hot here where we live that’s what we did and it helped a lot ultimately you can do a water change too in an emergency if it’s super hot but don’t drop the temp too fast on them to not shock them. Other than that that GirlTalksFish video is your best bet too, she works with aquarium coop and would know the best thing to do! 
hope that helps a little

i us to float ice in a zip bag to lower temperature be carefully this can change temperature very fast in small tanks (stable high temperatures probably safer than fluctuating low temperatures)

make sure you have good aeration to oxygen depletion is in my opinion the worst part of high temperature

One thing to keep in mind is that temp at the top of the tank is different than the temp at the bottom of the tank.  This might all be the same depending on how much water movement you do have and what equipment you're running in the tank.

If you're having some severe issues, maybe a sinking and floating style thermometer would be justified so you can see temp in different zones.  I just use my hand, and it's something where with time and experience you'll see the difference and just feel if the tank is hot.  To be clear, I always have a thermometer with me or in the tank, but in terms of that difference in temp, I just use my hand.

I've used ice as the main method to cool my tanks when need be.

I would make a cover with screen. Let it breathe a little (evaporation removes heat). It's not very practical to put ice in the tank but I guess it's better than nothing, especially  in an emergency. I think I would experiment with using ice for makeup water (replace evaporation). 

Yes, 30 is a bit high if you ask me, the top of their scale, but Endlers are very forgiving and I don't think I would worry too much.

Lots of aeration too being there is less O2 in hotter water. Also less lighting if possible to reduce heat. 

As for the heater I would go as low as 20 C. Most likely it will never turn on but if it does get cooler it will take longer to warm up. 

Funny, I was out of town a few days last week and I left my AC on for the fish. It gets well over 100 deg F (about 38 C) here during the day. 

How hot does it get in their room? Maybe it's time to invest in air conditioning. You would like it too. 🙂

• Like 1

Not saying you shouldn't try to cool the tank, but 30° is safe. It'll increase their metabilism but it won't kill them. It's definetely on the higher end of the safe spectrum, but it's not an emergency, especially knowing it'll be cooler once fall & winter comes.

On 7/19/2022 at 5:55 AM, Wrencher_Scott said:

Maybe it's time to invest in air conditioning

The weather is set to break tomorrow and drop by 10C back to the normal summer 20s. Air con would be a very expensive way of dealing with temps we don't get most years.

Keep the rooms dark and the air moving I've turned my heaters off just to allow the night temps to drop a little lower than normal (if possible)  Add airstones where you can .

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 5:55 AM, Wrencher_Scott said:

I would make a cover with screen. Let it breathe a little (evaporation removes heat). It's not very practical to put ice in the tank but I guess it's better than nothing, especially  in an emergency. I think I would experiment with using ice for makeup water (replace evaporation). 

Yes, 30 is a bit high if you ask me, the top of their scale, but Endlers are very forgiving and I don't think I would worry too much.

Lots of aeration too being there is less O2 in hotter water. Also less lighting if possible to reduce heat. 

As for the heater I would go as low as 20 C. Most likely it will never turn on but if it does get cooler it will take longer to warm up. 

Funny, I was out of town a few days last week and I left my AC on for the fish. It gets well over 100 deg F (about 38 C) here during the day. 

How hot does it get in their room? Maybe it's time to invest in air conditioning. You would like it too. 🙂

honestly.. the air cooling doesnt seem too bad as i sleep in here , ahaha

thank you all! im trying the ice now and i am looking into an aircon solution .

• Like 1