What are these and should i remove them

Nozdrul

Hi! Got mystery snails? Those look like mystery snail eggs! Mystery snails climb out of the water to lay their eggs. Generally they lay their eggs overnight or very early morning before the sun comes up.

D9DC87F3-DAE2-4110-9B7A-AA4B759C6074.jpeg

4BE8E5B5-6B21-4C88-802B-AC3ECFD8418E.jpeg

A46588CA-CF92-49EC-A368-696153EBFACD.jpeg

1391D750-528B-4332-A77F-47BC60262E6A.jpeg

83F74F6A-C9F9-478C-BF7D-AB7A03C9B269.jpeg

If you agree and you don’t want hundreds of snails, you should remove them (use a test kit card for easy removal) and freeze them in a ziplock. Once frozen, hammer to crush and dispose. Most humane way.

You also want to drop your water level 1” so the snail lays eggs on the wall and not on your light.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Terrifying.  😂

They look like snail eggs above, but you're saying they are moving?  Try lowering the waterline slightly so they are less encouraged to lay on the lid itself.  Second to that you might have a snail issue approaching unknowingly.  Being able to find / track / locate the eggs when they lay and keep an eye on how many is in the tank might be something you want to do if you plan to control the population boom.

• Haha 1

I wouldn’t worry about tons of snails if you wants some more let them hatch. It’s not like you can grab them when they get bigger. I let mine hatch about twice a year. If you don’t like the water lower as many people don’t just be aware they lay the eggs there and remove them. Most people that keep the water to the top ops the lid often enough to ad water to look then. Good luck

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 9:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Terrifying.  😂

They look like snail eggs above, but you're saying they are moving?  Try lowering the waterline slightly so they are less encouraged to lay on the lid itself.  Second to that you might have a snail issue approaching unknowingly.  Being able to find / track / locate the eggs when they lay and keep an eye on how many is in the tank might be something you want to do if you plan to control the population boom.

With mystery snails I check the lid and rim daily. Mine is notorious for laying eggs behind the waterfall so I run my hand under it now. Since the end of March, 1 snail has laid 10 clutches.

• Like 1