What is this type of algae

This will help with your plants. The rocks you can remove and scrub with hydrogen peroxide. 

to sum up this thread

place plants in plain seltzer water weighted down in the dark for 9-12 hours then rerun them to the tank. That kills the algae. 

Others will chime in with balancing the tank. New tanks go through growing pains and plants often struggle. You will get there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2022 at 4:44 PM, Guppysnail said:

This will help with your plants. The rocks you can remove and scrub with hydrogen peroxide. 

to sum up this thread

place plants in plain seltzer water weighted down in the dark for 9-12 hours then rerun them to the tank. That kills the algae. 

Others will chime in with balancing the tank. New tanks go through growing pains and plants often struggle. You will get there. 

Will I need to dig up the plants to put in the seltzer water? 

It’s a bit hard for me to tell from the photos, but it looks like maybe a combination of different types.
The soft brown stuff that grows in a new tank is called diatom. It’s easy to remove with a toothbrush or aquarium brush. It’ll eventually go away as the tank matures. 

There might be some hair algae and staghorn in the mix. The hair algae is also easy to remove. Just swirl the brush around in it and it’ll pull it out. Staghorn is more tenacious. I’ve found that lowering the lighting period or intensity helps. Start out with 6 hours for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.

Also try  @Guppysnail ‘s method of submerging the plant in soda water. I’ve tried it with good results. In fact, try that method first and then put the plants back in the tank with the reduced lighting period. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2022 at 5:56 PM, Plant-master said:

Will I need to dig up the plants to put in the seltzer water? 

Yes. They are new so probably not rooted well. Do not add seltzer to the tank. The algae will suffocate them and cause more harm than disturbing the roots will   

On 7/12/2022 at 4:56 PM, Patrick_G said:

It’s a bit hard for me to tell from the photos, but it looks like maybe a combination of different types.
The soft brown stuff that grows in a new tank is called diatom. It’s easy to remove with a toothbrush or aquarium brush. It’ll eventually go away as the tank matures. 

There might be some hair algae and staghorn in the mix. The hair algae is also easy to remove. Just swirl the brush around in it and it’ll pull it out. Staghorn is more tenacious. I’ve found that lowering the lighting period or intensity helps. Start out with 6 hours for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.

Also try  @Guppysnail ‘s method of submerging the plant in soda water. I’ve tried it with good results. In fact, try that method first and then put the plants back in the tank with the reduced lighting period. 

Yeah, the light I had on this tank was finnex clip on light and it was way too low. So I put on a twin star led light to try and help and so the algae has risen lately. But would floating plants and algae eaters help too. 

Edited by Plant-master

On 7/12/2022 at 6:45 PM, Plant-master said:

don’t have any other stands for the light and it does not dim 

I would try to find a way to mount it one day.  Controlling the light itself is going to be the easiest way to fight this kind of algae.

In my case, I turned down the light, made sure there wasn't any dead spots, a lot of manual removal and a ton of cleaning things to make sure there isn't a random pocket of waste (dead plants) in the substrate that is causing too many nutrients in the water column.  Second to that it can be controlled with the lean dosing method.

• Thanks 1