Copper Ore (non-reactive to Vinegar) as "decoration" hardscape

Lee W.

This does not react with white vinegar, however I am concerned about putting copper ore into the tank. I am not even sure it is water soluble. It is small and kinda cool looking plus it has some sentimental value. The pieces pictured are NOT mine but closely represent what I have.

Does anyone know more about this?

Thank you

s-l300.jpg

It's going to rust and cause some reactions.  At best, I would say definitely don't do that.  There is other stone that can give you a unique look like that stone.

Copper especially is something that you really don't want too much of. Small amounts is "fine" but even something like cooping in a copper pot isn't really advisable for humans. 

Soak it in a tub for 3-6 months and see what it does.  That will tell you about the aquarium use itself. Be sure to have aeration as well.

• Thanks 1

I asked my husband (who has a geology degree) and he essentially said yes, it will oxidize, turn green, and release copper oxides into the tank. So I would say definitely skip that. As cool as it would look it's not worth the risk and it would bar you from adding shrimp/snails/other inverts to the tank. 

• Like 1