Male betta too focused on bubble nest to eat?

Beanbo7

Hi! I am new here but wanted to throw out a question to see if any one else has this issue with their male bettas - I have a 6 month old male plakat named Drago. He was labeled as a dragon scale when I got him but I’m thinking he may be an avatar betta with his spotted coloring (I was worried it was ich but the spots never changed, just his coloring!). He lives in a 5.5 gallon (I want to get him a 10 gallon but he’s happy right now so I don’t want to move him) with live plants, heater, filter, and a nerite snail.  Water parameters are all clear using API master test kit and test strips. He eats Fluval Bug Bites and frozen bloodworms as treats.

He is super healthy and happy 99.9% of the time. However a few weeks back, he went on a bit of a hunger strike. He wouldn’t eat anything and I panicked that something was wrong. However he had made a massive bubble nest and was very fixated on it. He was swimming perfectly normally, no change to fins/body, and had normal energy levels. After a week or so his bubble nest dissipated, and he happily started eating again. I did some googling and it said sometimes bettas can be so focused on breeding that they won’t eat. Has anyone else experienced this? I have owned bettas my whole life and never had a betta that refused to eat because he wanted babies so bad. 

I’ve attached a few photos of my little buddy. If anyone knows what kind of betta he is as well, I would love to know! Also featuring my nerite snail doing an amazing job getting some algae cleaned up for me! 🙂

9454E557-6429-4BDF-A0A9-5C9E48AB60A2.jpeg.94ef30e97958869af16bafb00c3358be.jpegF97D3A01-F428-4BDE-85F7-571CAA5BDB3E.jpeg.25c9646b3fd5a77f647ba419e5e9a2d5.jpeg95227C8D-FFF5-44A8-8E3E-96B3BE13B263.jpeg.77ae37c075b7044f1df7651f97e3f932.jpeg

• Administrators

Your betta looks healthy, and a fish not eating for a week or so is perfectly fine. No need to panic, especially when he looks as healthy as yours. You can always try some live food if he goes too long without eating. 

I’ve heard that it’s perfectly normal for a betta male to be focused on his nest and not eat as long as it doesn’t last over a week or so he is beautiful and your tank is beautiful as well! 
mom you tube there is a girl on there that works for Cory at aquarium coop and her site is called GirlTalksFish it’s mostly about betta but has some other stuff there as well about snails and plants but its definitely something to check out if you have a betta! 
also I tell everyone this tannin tannins tannin tannins! Indian almond leafs and the extract is amazing for betta it’s a natural antiseptic and ph neutralizer! 

also really awkward point but we were having an issue with thinking 💭 our male betta is lonely he has been making his bubble nests too so we had an idea to get two female dwarf red honey gourami to put with them they are both labrynth fish but they won’t breed and the honey is smaller and more peaceful NOW everyone has been saying not to put gouramis with betta they don’t get along but that’s only if it’s a female betta with male gourami so I was wandering what would happen with the male betta and two female honey gourami?