On 8/23/2022 at 10:56 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I know time is the big one. Is the little one getting any special foods?

50% water change on the 18th or?

Typically I won't dose salt back to back to back like that. I might add a % dose based on the water change. But not a full dose.

25% on the 18th

20% today

All while adding back the necessary salt to stay at level 3.

I know that left him with some diluted Maracyn but a mesh bag of fresh carbon was also placed on top of the sponge filter after treatment. 

Food extreme krill and frozen brine shrimp. He eats a little. Seems to lose appetite after about 3 bites.

The first bite or 2 though, he seems excited and charges the food.

On 8/23/2022 at 10:56 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Typically I won't dose salt back to back to back like that. I might add a % dose based on the water change. But not a full dose.

Dose is based on water change. Ie: 2 gal water replaced means add 2 T salt back. 

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

I am doing a gallon-per-day water change for 5 days. This will get us to a level 2 salt. Little guy had one brine shrimp today but refused to eat any additional. 

I feel bad for him so I added a new plastic plant. (Yeah, I know about decorating when there’s illness. But I do a bleach disinfect after quarantines.) Here’s his new digs.

6E15778C-1F25-4C99-9A43-14398D46A22E.jpeg

He’s checking it out!

This plant is actually small enough to stand up in there.

The other one is too tall but I’m leaving it there for BB until he moves out.

Welp, bound to happen with that much salt. My bacteria is dead. ☠️ 

1D6382B9-8FD2-4542-AFBA-AA6A76B1FCDE.jpeg.9218be8db73d6fa555e7d83e5308d1f8.jpeg

Not the first time this has happened to me when doing salt treatments.

Haven’t tested in a few days because I’ve been changing water daily to get to the level 2 salt, which has now been accomplished. I figure, if I’m going to change the water anyway, why test? If a test shows something bad, I would do what? Water change. LOL. Anyway..

Unplanned water change today due to the reading.   w/ Prime dosed for whole tank volume + Fritz Zyme 7.

Will be testing each morning now to see how we’re doing.

Afterwards, offered a flake to the fishy but he refused it. 🫤

Here’s today’s test = .5 ammonia. Based on the neon’s last checkup, I decided I’m not going to chase around this nitrogen cycle with all the extra water changes etc, so I moved him out to the snail tank about a week earlier than planned. There’s lots of cover in there; obviously the anacharis are happy in that environment. With no one to bully him, I think he will do ok. Lights off for today. 

This is what the snail tank looks like now. Most snails were adopted out. Just a few remain and are keepers. 

319623B8-1DC0-49EB-827C-7C8DE1C3DE69.jpeg

39C35BA0-8A28-4A41-A618-785975720C62.jpeg

Tried to use lights today on the 24/7 cycle (gentle sunrise, etc) but he was stressed by them. His quarantine tote never had any lights so I’m sure he got used to that. When I turned the lights off, he began swimming the whole tank, and he did eat a little breakfast. Not much. The snails ate his leftover flake. He’s also fairly shy when I approach but he’s kind of getting used to it.

Hard to get his photo but if you zoom in here you can see where his columnaris spot is almost healed. 

For all he’s been through, he needs a tough name.

Hercules?

Brutus?

Hulk?

…GOT IT. I will call him Pippin. The scrawny kid that didn’t pull the lead role; he doesn’t like the [Hygger] spotlight. Looks wimpy, but is tough and brave when he needs to be.

8CD47ECE-89EC-4D96-9240-14FC0F5ACAD1.jpeg

Added more detail

On 9/5/2022 at 3:23 PM, Colu said:

He's looking a lot better just a small patch left on the lateral line that could be permanent scar tissue 

We will see. His buddy had the same but his buddy’s went away.

@Colu he’s here today due to your “prescriptions” for him. They worked! 😍 Thank you!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 12:04 PM, Jess said:

Chiming in here to say I'm so impressed with your tenacity (not only in treating but also in observation and documentation)!  And Pippin is such an adorable name! Glad everyone is getting/staying healthy.

Thanks! He’s such a trooper, even for being such a little guy. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...