Corydoras and Meds

twodaend

Are corydoras especially sensitive to meds?  I recently purchased some False Julii and Peppered cory cats today and placed them in a quarantine tank with 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and 10 Nitrates. .  I used the Med Trio and now some of the Peppered corydoras are now floating at the top upside down.  I can still see there gills moving, and sometimes they'll move around at the top, but still upside down.  The False Julii seems to be doing fine.

I just received them cory cats today and medicated them as well with the Trio, so I'm not sure what else to do.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I ran into the same problem. I hope you can share your experience on what happened to your peppered cories and how you dealt with it.

I'm so confused and horrified by this experience. I'm new to the hobby and have only done the med trio on panda cories, albino cories, black neon tetras, zebra danios and peppered cories (on separate occasions). Only the peppered cories had such drastic effect on them. I am baffled because I got them from a hobbyist. Before the trio, I observed them for almost 2 weeks fed them regularly (frozen brine shrimp, shrimp sinking pellets, micro pellets) and made sure the water was clean. I noticed they were energetic, eating, very responsive so I was very confident to do the trio. I have an airstone running, heater, filter (I took out the carbon for the meds), thermometer, live plants, hiding places... only a few hours after the meds (nitrite .25 & ammonia 0) I noticed they all seemed like they all had swim bladder disease. For example, they're like swimming on the moon, like the gravity is working against them, some would float just still on top then after a quick nudge from another cory or me they would swim slowly to the bottom, a few make it okay to the bottom, while the rest just let themselves go back up again. Their eyes are still moving, still breathing it's just not normal. I had the lights off and left them there tried to not stress them more.

After 10/12 hours or so, the situation seemed worse, so I did 20/30% water change and put the carbon filter back on. I was so stressed going back to bed because I didn't want to wake up to dead cories. More than 24 hours has passed and still no deaths but I did another 20/30% water change. I think the cories are still getting worse I can't really tell at this point. 

How did yours do??? I hope 

@msapphire012 Unfortunately it did not turn out well.  Water changes and carbon did not help in my case and they all passed away within about 2 to 3 days.  I was heartbroken and have not had the stomach to try again.  I have tried the trio with Angelfish, Mollies, Platies, Tetras and all were successful.  This has only happen with my Cories and it happened so quick.

If I do try Cories again, I defiantly plan to try the trio one med at a time to see if one of them caused this or was it the combination of all three at once.

Oh no, I'm so sad now. Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry for your loss. I need to prepare myself then. My albino and panda cories survived the med trio so I thought these healthy looking peppered cories will do fine. It's just the sad/hard part of the hobby I guess. Thanks! Nice cories on your profile pic by the way!

Edited by msapphire012

A few weeks back I had an issue in my tank. It's hard to know if my pygmy cories died from the med trio or if they were all sick to begin with, but all of them died within 2 days of adding med trio to my tank. All except one of my 12 looked healthy, so I don't know. Like twodaend above, I'd probably only dose one med at a time if I ever add cories again. It was heartbreaking. 

• Sad 2

Corydoras are fickle critters from what I have experienced. I've even read that they have about a 50% mortality rate, so "...you should expect to lose about half of them when you buy them..." I don't like to believe this, but I've had about 30% losses with them myself.

I've dosed the heck out of my peppered high-fin corydoras. They've been through at least 2 rounds of ich-x, 2 rounds of the trio, 2 rounds of kanaplex, 1 round of jungle fungus fizz, 2 rounds of expel P, and 2 additional rounds of paracleanse. Yes. I had some SERIOUS issues in that tank.... thus, meds, on different occasions, for different reasons over the course of 10 months.

Back in October/early November ish, we got 6 three stripe corydoras, they may be juli... I don't know. But the first set had wastings disease, I lost 2 of the 6 after a week. I then lost another to swim bladder issues. I bought 5 more to repopulate them. I lost 2 of those from what I would bet was wastings again. I did my best to dose them with paracleanse and expel p. So far I haven't had anymore losses and it's been about a month and a half ish. These are in a different tank than the peppered corydoras.

All things aside, I try to keep them in water that isn't super hard, a pH of about 7.6, and very low nitrAtes, below 20 for the peppered, and below 10 for the threestripe/juli.

Unfortunately I’ve had lots of issues with panda corydoras… A year ago I bought 12 of them for my 20 gal, just dumped them in, no meds no acclimating… 4 died within 48 hrs, the rest ended up getting what I suspect was colimnaris and dying, I had 3 survivors… and this was with moving them to a treatment tank and treating them with the med trio. The 3 are now in a different tank and doing well.

2 days ago I bought 4 more panda Corydoras, set them up a quarantine tank and drip acclimated (I have hard, high pH water)… and 2 have already died with big red blotches on their flanks. I only dosed the tank with Paracleans  because I was expecting them to be sensitive.

Moral of the story is even when I think I am doing everything right they still die in my water. I absolutely adore corydoras but they don’t adore my water I guess 😔 

Edited by Rita
Accidentally wrote expel-p instead of paracleans
  • Sad 1

Oh okay, too bad I can't figure out what's wrong with these peppered cories, if I only knew what's wrong with them I can dose those meds instead of all three. I noticed you dosed paracleanse and expel p. Did you those them at the same time? How did you dose them? I'm just looking for different safer methods to dose my peppered now in case they survive. I's only been 1 1/2 Days since I dosed. 

On 1/4/2022 at 4:44 PM, Minanora said:

Corydoras are fickle critters from what I have experienced. I've even read that they have about a 50% mortality rate, so "...you should expect to lose about half of them when you buy them..." I don't like to believe this, but I've had about 30% losses with them myself.

I've dosed the heck out of my peppered high-fin corydoras. They've been through at least 2 rounds of ich-x, 2 rounds of the trio, 2 rounds of kanaplex, 1 round of jungle fungus fizz, 2 rounds of expel P, and 2 additional rounds of paracleanse. Yes. I had some SERIOUS issues in that tank.... thus, meds, on different occasions, for different reasons over the course of 10 months.

Back in October/early November ish, we got 6 three stripe corydoras, they may be juli... I don't know. But the first set had wastings disease, I lost 2 of the 6 after a week. I then lost another to swim bladder issues. I bought 5 more to repopulate them. I lost 2 of those from what I would bet was wastings again. I did my best to dose them with paracleanse and expel p. So far I haven't had anymore losses and it's been about a month and a half ish. These are in a different tank than the peppered corydoras.

All things aside, I try to keep them in water that isn't super hard, a pH of about 7.6, and very low nitrAtes, below 20 for the peppered, and below 10 for the threestripe/juli.

Edited by msapphire012

On 1/4/2022 at 10:16 PM, Rita said:

Unfortunately I’ve had lots of issues with panda corydoras… A year ago I bought 12 of them for my 20 gal, just dumped them in, no meds no acclimating… 4 died within 48 hrs, the rest ended up getting what I suspect was colimnaris and dying, I had 3 survivors… and this was with moving them to a treatment tank and treating them with the med trio. The 3 are now in a different tank and doing well.

2 days ago I bought 4 more panda Corydoras, set them up a quarantine tank and drip acclimated (I have hard, high pH water)… and 2 have already died with big red blotches on their flanks. I only dosed the tank with Paracleans  because I was expecting them to be sensitive.

Moral of the story is even when I think I am doing everything right they still die in my water. I absolutely adore corydoras but they don’t adore my water I guess 😔 

The water out of my tap is 8.2pH, 348ppm (16°GH) hardness. I mix my tap water with R.O. to get my parameters close to: 7.6pH and 9°hardness. My tank with the three stripe corydoras has a pH of 7.4, 8dGH, 6gKH. Those corydoras are active all day, are happy to be watched and beg for food around feeding time.