Hello all from sunny Charleston South Carolina

Hi all,

7 months strong back into the hobby after a 28 year hiatus. Don’t let this dang Southern accent fool you, I was a lifetime New Yorker until 2012. The one thing I moan and groan about since getting back into the hobby is the lack of LFS in my area. Decades on Long Island make me truly appreciate the plethora and uniqueness of all of the truly great LFS they have had and still do over the decades. Anyway more on that in another post. 
I just placed my 4th order from Aquarium Co-op, and while I was here I decided to join this forum after hearing Cory talk about it on one of his YouTube videos.

I look forward to chatting with many of you and learning a great deal from this dedicated bunch of folks that I know have the passion that burns within me. Who knows maybe I can impart some wisdom too, from the different eras of fish keeping I participated in. At least, maybe I can provide you some laughs of how things were done “back in the day” and what we had to rely on.

While I may be older, I am young at heart and have been mesmerized by the changes (evolution if you will) in the hobby overall from anything as technology on through a new school of thought. For those of you that have been active in the past few years or more, you have done great justice and vast improvements to this incredible and fascinating hobby.

Have a great day. I will throw up a picture or two just so hopefully my fish can be enjoyed by you as much as they are by me. And a way of saying thanks to all the beautiful pictures you have shared.

7218D827-8E36-4F56-BC70-E5BBEAE29ED8.jpeg

26D12C0C-7C75-4F6E-BD5F-AA6EE99B9BF4.jpeg

F27C4574-CFD8-4748-9E6F-7F653E49F000.jpeg

8991A89E-5A8B-4295-BF2D-F7A24383C330.jpeg

A0AB5493-3DD8-4C15-A05D-E0639F5F15CA.jpeg

B2D8D278-407B-471E-A00E-749FB217551D.jpeg

• Love 3

Thank you, I have many more in the works. I like them a lot, but one of my next goals is to truly aquascape a fish tank in the fine fashion you did.

Live plants were far from being as prevalent in the 70’s 80’s and 90’s as they are today.

in fact over the years and with dozens and dozens of iterations of tanks, I never had a live plant until this year. I had many friends who were heavily involved in fish keeping too and the same could be said for them. They were barely stocked or emphasized at my LFS back then. From today’s aquarists I have learned the value of these plants to a healthy aquarium is quite significant, not to mention quite eye pleasing.

Yes Charleston is gorgeous and excels in almost anything they have, but LFS and Aquarium Clubs are rare. In my area, there is only one, including all surrounding areas. That is LFS. Actually there is another, but they are strictly salt water. And clubs or trade shows are nor existent. I has planned to go to Aquashella in Orlando unfortunately I got ill. There are many big box stores in the area, and the one LFS are fine people and when I combine that with online merchants it is not bad. It is just that I am spoiled I guess by living on Long Island for many years.

However, it is not lost on me that I can sit outside at an outdoor bar/restaurant in a pair of shorts and drink a beer watching a college football game live being played in the snow 

How about where you live Patrick? Are there many options?

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 12:17 PM, Charleston Cory said:

How about where you live Patrick? Are there many options?

I’m in the Seattle area. We have a great aquarium club and some nice LFS including Aquarium Co-op and a beautiful aquascaping store. Down the road a few hours in Portland, OR there is a huge store with what's probably the best selection on the west coast. (at least until aquarium co-op expands)

Hi AquaHobbyist123,

I grew up on Long Island NY and was always on the beach or out somewhere on the water non stop.

I have been down here 10 years and have maybe gone 15x and the really sad part is it is warmer year round, the water temperatures are much warmer too. The beaches are very beautiful and I have checked out about 8 different locations. It is just you start getting heavily involved in one thing like golf and you tend to or at I least I tend to forget to have a more broadened balance fill of entertainment.

Where are you from?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Charleston Cory 

Charleston is beautiful we just went to Mount Pleasant on vacation and road the jet skis through the marsh it was fun!!! 
anyways glad to have you on here we’re new too here everyone is really nice and helpful. I found out about this forum from GirlTalksFish who works for Cory and aquarium coop. She has a video on YouTube where she talks about this forum. Your tanks are absolutely gorgeous! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 1:52 PM, Charleston Cory said:

Hi all,

7 months strong back into the hobby after a 28 year hiatus. Don’t let this dang Southern accent fool you, I was a lifetime New Yorker until 2012. The one thing I moan and groan about since getting back into the hobby is the lack of LFS in my area. Decades on Long Island make me truly appreciate the plethora and uniqueness of all of the truly great LFS they have had and still do over the decades. Anyway more on that in another post. 
I just placed my 4th order from Aquarium Co-op, and while I was here I decided to join this forum after hearing Cory talk about it on one of his YouTube videos.

I look forward to chatting with many of you and learning a great deal from this dedicated bunch of folks that I know have the passion that burns within me. Who knows maybe I can impart some wisdom too, from the different eras of fish keeping I participated in. At least, maybe I can provide you some laughs of how things were done “back in the day” and what we had to rely on.

While I may be older, I am young at heart and have been mesmerized by the changes (evolution if you will) in the hobby overall from anything as technology on through a new school of thought. For those of you that have been active in the past few years or more, you have done great justice and vast improvements to this incredible and fascinating hobby.

Have a great day. I will throw up a picture or two just so hopefully my fish can be enjoyed by you as much as they are by me. And a way of saying thanks to all the beautiful pictures you have shared.

7218D827-8E36-4F56-BC70-E5BBEAE29ED8.jpeg

26D12C0C-7C75-4F6E-BD5F-AA6EE99B9BF4.jpeg

F27C4574-CFD8-4748-9E6F-7F653E49F000.jpeg

8991A89E-5A8B-4295-BF2D-F7A24383C330.jpeg

A0AB5493-3DD8-4C15-A05D-E0639F5F15CA.jpeg

B2D8D278-407B-471E-A00E-749FB217551D.jpeg

Looks so good! I really like your choice of fish!