Uaru

Flumpweesel

Here is a link to fishbase page on one Uaru species.

Here is a care guide.

They’re potentially a 10-inch fish when full grown. A 75 gal tank would be a minimum tank size. More likely a 120+ gallon.

If there’s a way to contact him, I’d ask Jim Cumming up in Canada. He’s my favorite large cichlid keeper to follow. He may respond if you message him via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008605184261

Here are several videos from his YouTube channel. Note: Jim often uploads videos with no audio.

This one below has audio…

• Thanks 1

They are impressive to watch but probably a bit large for my tank space.

On 7/3/2022 at 8:13 PM, Brandon p said:

king of diy

He was quite taken with them. I really like how the juveniles (black/grey and dotty) had a sort of primitive look to them. Cool that they breed like discus to. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 7:13 PM, Flumpweesel said:

They are impressive to watch but probably a bit large for my tank space.

He was quite taken with them. I really like how the juveniles (black/grey and dotty) had a sort of primitive look to them. Cool that they breed like discus to. 

I don’t watch a lot but he does some sane things and some insane. I don’t see him trying to overstock like crazy or do thing that will hurt his fish. I mentioned that because I have heard most in a group that I was in before coming here.  I did like the uaru’s. It was really the first time I had seen them. I knew a little bit but it’s not so easy to see here.

I have done research only on them as my very large Amazon biotope tank is so far in the future it may never exist. But they are omnivorous cichlids with a similar temperament to earth eaters. They get rather large but they make for ideal tank mates to other large docile fish such as silver dollar. They have a surprising tendency to prefer vegetable matter over insects and fish. Like earth eaters they prefer a sandy substrate and lots of wood work to feel safe

absolutely beautiful fish though if you have the tank space for them and do get them journal is a must so I can live vicariously through you.

Edited by Biotope Biologist