My fish are acting weird

Axredx

Hello everyone, I have a 29 gallon community tank, well planted, it has a fluval 107 and a mediun air sponge filter. I have tetras, raspboras, platies, zebra Danios, 1 blue powdered gouramy, 1 golden chinese algea eater, 1 chinese algea eater and 2 large mystery snail. Tank is a little over stocked and the water perameters are perfect, I do 20% weekly water change and keep temperature at 80 F. Well here is my dilema. The fish have always been swiming in nice schooling style, and the algea eaters have kept to themselves each on one corner. No conflict in this tank for the most part. They eat a variety of Tetra flakes, bllod worms, tubiflex worms, daphnia, frozen brine shrimp, and algea wafers. Lately, the fish seem like they are spooked. They are all in like sleep mode and their aggressive eating behavior has dwindled. They eat but mostly only the Danios are still aggresivly eating. Im stomped. I dont want to medicate them as I see any deseases. Basically an overal semi lathargic state has hit them all. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

20220702_074853.jpg

Edited by Axredx

What are the water parameters, including GH and KH? I know you said they are "perfect", but often something can stick out. It can help give context as to what may be the problem. By the way, welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks here.

• Thanks 1

Temperature could be an issue. Warmer water holds less oxygen. Adding some additional aeration might help. Activity levels in fish often vary with temperature and oxygen levels. I would guess that maybe the oxygen levels are a bit low. An air stone or two won't hurt anything and might help.

• Thanks 1

Generally my tetras tend to stay close to cover if I am near the tank, but are swimming everywhere when I am not. Recently at feeding time all of the fish have begun gathering on the open water side of the tank.  Why?  Something changed.  A String Algae bloom in the Anacharis on the other side made the food hard to reach. 

I'm only seeing 16 fish, so I don't think you are overstocked. Has anything in your aquarium or the room changed?   How long has this been going on?  You might try giving the fish a fasting day to see if their appetite returns. @gardenmans suggestion to step up the air supply can't hurt, and double check the temperature with a second thermometer if you haven't already. 

• Thanks 1

There is 27 fish in there with 2 mystery snails. I just saw my 2 algy eaters scratch against the rocks. I just treated the tank with meds,added amother airsource, and temporarily added a small pump with sponge filter. Fish look more lively after I added meds, but I will get back in a day or so to update. Thanks for comments. I was getting aggravated but I think I found what was going on. Will see. 

• Like 1

I think the issue is the Chinese algae eater are the problem. As Juveniles they are great community fish once they start to age the become aggressive and territorial. The other biggest reason Chinese algae eaters have sort fallen out of favor is that as they age they eat the slime coat off the other fish. I think explains the reasons the fish are acting the way they are. The slime coat is important to the fish and with out it will kill fish due just that or allows disease to take hold. The danios are probably just better at staying away. I would remove the algae eaters for a month and see. The others could take that long to recover. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I had that problem with them when I had them with cichlids. However the cichlids did not like it and it was a battle fest in there. I found that If I spot fed them properly with algea wafers and blood worms that they did not bother the other fish.  I have not seen them quarrel but maybe ever slightly with each other. They are on the list to be moved from that tank. So somehow the Algea eaters got Ich. I have not seen the others scratch but I treated the tank for it. See what happens. Thanks.

• Like 1

They are often called sucking loaches over here and they are cute when they are young. I hadn't seen any for years but tried a new LFS a bit back and they were in about 3 of their tanks. The shop gave no warning about their grumpy side and downplayed their adult size a bit when I asked about. She just stated they rarely get returned.

On 7/2/2022 at 8:25 PM, Axredx said:

somehow the Algea eaters got Ich.

Inch start on the substrate so the fish nearer the bottom tend to show it first. However flashing isn't always ich  my SAE's often flash just to make me paranoid. I've learnt to make sure it's scratching not flashing before I throw the meds in.

• Like 2

Well, Im glad I stuck meds in my tank. My little Captain Waterborne died this morning. The Green Algea  Eater is also acting real querky. All the other fish seem to be okay a little stressed from the meds but otherwise no signs of any ailments. I'm placing some pics of the Golden Algea Eater, I'm hoping someone can recognize the ailment or desease he had from the pictures? It looks as if his stomach hemmorraged and also his throat bottom area. Any thoughts on them? I hopethe rest of the tank comes out of it fine. I issued the three meds Cory always recommends to quarantine tank. I really loved this fella even though that for over a year he did terrorize my cichlids and suddenly 3 months ago when he became calm with community fish.

20220703_081536.jpg

20220703_081542.jpg

20220703_081550.jpg

20220703_081555.jpg

My four year old love this fella so I had to toss him. Didnt want her to see me cutting him up. I did think about it but in the end I would not know what to look for if I did. Keeping my fingers crossed im gonna do 50% water change on tuesday and remeds.