Brainstorming: Shrimp or Corydora that would get along with a pea puffer...?

Lizzyduff

I have a 10g nano with a pea puffer, and puffer friendly parameters, and you know how messy they can be. I'd like to know what sort of 'maid service' I can house with him. Pygmy cories would probably get chewed up, and so would neocaridina shrimps and ramshorn/bladder snails (his normal diet) which are my usual go to clean up crew in other tanks.  I'm looking for something nano size, but... that won't take sh*t from the pea puffer either and is comfortable in similar parameters.  And will contribute enough in cleaning services to make the additional bioload worth it. I'm wondering if there are any shrimp that he can't/ won't torment? Since it's a 10g, my options are limited, obviously.  (Insert tasteless joke about how I could probably fit at least 3 plecos in there,  surely that'll fix everything!) 🤣😆😂

• Like 3

I have been successful in keeping a Nerite snail, Amano and Neocaridina with my pea puffer. I am sure they eat a few of the shrimplets, but neos reproduce quickly.

One of the pea puffers is in a 3 gallon tank, the other in a 7 gallon, both heavily planted and with lots of hiding spots. The tanks have been running for almost two years. 🐡

• Like 3

On 6/29/2022 at 3:15 PM, Lizzyduff said:

Ooh! I've always wanted to try a few amanos in one of my tanks!  I'll pick up a couple of those this weekend to start, and maybe add in a nerite snail one they settle in.  Thanks!

Some shops sell “jumbo” adult Amanos. Those might be less likely to become puffer food. 

• Like 1

Update: within 24 hours I've observed the giant amanos absolutely destroying the bit of blackbeard algae I'd fighting in a corner on some moss for ages. They've also been seen (presumably) playing football with some empty snail shells,  and tug of war with some bloodworms both the shrimp and and puffer wanted at the same time. They're holding their own against the pea puffers and have cleaned up the leftover food in a day.  Tank looks better than it has in ages.  The nerite snails are presumably just steering clear of all the activity and working on the glass. 

Great idea guys!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...