Pomacea canaliculata (golden apple snail)

Guppysnail

I need some help.  To clarify I’m speaking if the invasive large golden channeled apple snail Pomacea canaliculata not the common mystery/Inca snail Pomacea diffusa or bridgesii.

My friend inadvertently received these beautiful golden shell white foot snails thinking they were mystery snails. They laid eggs and OH MY 😱 those are canaliculata not mystery snail. I’m confident in my identification of the egg clutches. 

They are trying to hatch them and well,  I have just the tank for a few them 😁  Yes, fully aware of legalities of owning, trading, not crossing state lines etc.  Fully researched in advance I’m not looking for info on that stuff.  

What I need is egg hatching info.  Timeline humidity requirements etc.  Anything at all you can give me to help us hatch one clutch of these would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks for your help  this is the best video I found but does not really give info.  Is it in desert air humidity tropical air humidity  great set up but…

• Love 3

I have predominantly antidotal information from Fish & Game:

In TX, these things are a huge issue, because they lay eggs on the underside of plant leaves along the water ways. and at 90% humidity (or higher) and majority of days over 75 F, they hatch in under 3 days. Hard to find them in time to prevent spread, and they literally have hundreds of college students helping.

However, they do not seem to survive in the areas with <50% humidity. The Rio Grande in NM has zero problems, so far. Gila river has not had any identified.

River walk in San Antonio or Austin?

They are everywhere.... 

• Thanks 1

I’ll hold my opinion. We have them here and as kids we hatched them and had them. It’s similar to mystery snails. They like the humidity but don’t like to get wet. If you can Suspend them over some water and not get them wet they should hatch. I made sound hard but we hatched them like mystery snails. I’m always nervous about giving advice about hatching and breeding when you just have one chance. It has been a long time so if take it with a grain of salt.

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 4:32 AM, Guppysnail said:

THANKS FOLKS. My understanding is these are younger and very amorous so hopefully if we don’t get it right we get more chances. 

The key seems to be not allowing the eggs to get submerged and drown/suffocate, and keep the humidity high enough to not allow the egg casing to harden😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's not a major deal but I want to make sure you are aware than the red apple snail eggs like that are very toxic. Only when ingested so basically is only an issue if you handle them then immediately go eat something without washing your hands. But just wanted to make sure you know. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2022 at 1:16 AM, Cinnebuns said:

It's not a major deal but I want to make sure you are aware than the red apple snail eggs like that are very toxic. Only when ingested so basically is only an issue if you handle them then immediately go eat something without washing your hands. But just wanted to make sure you know. 

😳 Thank you. I will pass that info on as I’m not handling these my friend is. I had no idea. 

• 7 months later...