Algea Prevention Video

Posted here for easy reference, notice lighting is number 12, while water changes, flow/turnover, plant mass and cleanup crew is among the top recommendations when dealing with ANY algea!! 

*steps off soapbox**

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2022 at 6:36 AM, JoeQ said:

Posted here for easy reference, notice lighting is number 12, while water changes, flow/turnover, plant mass and cleanup crew is among the top recommendations when dealing with ANY algea!! 

*gets popcorn ready, stares at algae ridden tank*

Alright.... I can take it. What am I doing wrong!

On 7/7/2022 at 3:00 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

*gets popcorn ready, stares at algae ridden tank*

Alright.... I can take it. What am I doing wrong!

For now, I think the only solution would be to run your  air-conditioning at 74 degrees non stop till October........ Seriously tho, its hot!!! Most of us got the algea, embrace it!! 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 1:40 AM, JoeQ said:

For now, I think the only solution would be to run your  air-conditioning at 74 degrees non stop till October........ Seriously tho, its hot!!! Most of us got the algea, embrace it!! 

#10 was a big one. Everyone get your bingo cards out.

#1: No issues
#2: No issues, great point
#3: Definitely an issue for me, more on this in #10
#4: I don't really have access to these :classic_sad:
#5: Me too, no issues here
#6: Oh yes. definitely!
#7: Thought it wasn't an issue, it was.
#8: Not an issue, but will help!
#9: Agreed
#10: Best tip.... Ever.
#11: I struggled with this as well
#12: Made a mistake once, oops.
#13: Made this mistake too, I don't use planted substrates though
#14: I do this! Yay. (that's a good thing)
#15: I make a point of doing this, but It's hot in summer
#16: Good to know, I made this mistake
#17: Definitely had this issue also, lost an entire tank because of it
#18:  Not an issue
#19: Was an issue recently, but not normally.
#20: Can't control it, but it's been an issue once or twice.

My score: 11/20. 

On 7/8/2022 at 12:45 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

My score: 11/20.

Well, my score would be terrible, I might do a couple of the 20 items but would never do #8 even if someone gave me a system. Yes, those tanks are pretty but I`m not impressed (I think he has a pretty big ego) I don`t have much of an algae problem nor do I have many plants (Never did well with plants) I guess I`m just too lazy, water changes fertilizers and all the different plants that are available and the extra stuff to make those expensive plants to grow is way too much money. Oh yes, I`m cheap. I have nothing against anyone who wants to have tanks like those, I say good for you, It's just not for me. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 10:53 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

Well, my score would be terrible, I might do a couple of the 20 items but would never do #8 even if someone gave me a system. Yes, those tanks are pretty but I`m not impressed (I think he has a pretty big ego) I don`t have much of an algae problem nor do I have many plants (Never did well with plants) I guess I`m just too lazy, water changes fertilizers and all the different plants that are available and the extra stuff to make those expensive plants to grow is way too much money. Oh yes, I`m cheap. I have nothing against anyone who wants to have tanks like those, I say good for you, It's just not for me. 

On the big ego I agree, that and he is a co2 pusher, making people believe that they can't grow plants without an expensive co2 system.

*disclaimer* the following is only my opinion! 

IMO co2 should only be used AFTER learning how to balance and maintain an algea free, well growing planted tank and with the purpose of growing finer leaved/more advanced plants. Else you are just adding another variable to account for and overly complicating the learning process. 

On the positive side, his advice is mostly sound and I like his calming voice! 🤣

• Like 1

Thank you for this. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

The one tip I found it odd, was when he mentioned to have plenty of flow. 

Justin says here, the less movement - the better. I'm sure in some instances, more flow might help. Maybe if you're running CO2, you need more flow?

On 6/26/2022 at 9:36 AM, JoeQ said:

Posted here for easy reference, notice lighting is number 12

Agree 100%....was a really good point. I can....not...wait...until Cory's lighting video he has teased.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:58 PM, Jeff said:

Thank you for this. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Justin says here, the less movement - the better. I'm sure in some instances, more flow might help. Maybe if you're running CO2, you need more flow?

Flow is huge, especially when dealing with BGA and staghorn! It also helps with distributing nutrients around the tank. Maybe the correction lies with this aspect of flow

On 7/8/2022 at 10:58 AM, Jeff said:

more flow means the CO2 is in the water column instead of going to the surface. more flow, but not necessarily more surface agitation.

It also, as mentioned, just means that the plants in hard to reach areas, the full water column is dosed and not just one side of the tank.  The same issue is prevalent with heaters on long tanks.