Java fern pinholes - deficiency?

I’ve noticed some pinholes in my java fern that I believe are indicated of a (potassium) deficiency? 

Currently, I’m doing a 25% water change once a week and dosing 3 mLs of easy green. The tank is a 29 gallon guppy breeding setup. Would this be an indication that I should increase the easy green dosage or should I consider dosing the specific nutrient that is in deficiency? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Java Ferns seem to need a crazy amount of Potassium you could up your dose of easy green just might want to keep an eye on your nitrates.

Thanks for the input! I'll have to do some more research on the subject but perhaps I'll look into dosing small amounts of potassium in addition to my current dosing regiment. Cheers! 

11 hours ago, ccurtis said:

I had the same issue with my Java fern. I started dosing API Leaf Zone with my easy green and root tabs. Leaf Zone only has 2 ingredients, soluble potash (potassium) and iron. Within 3 days I noticed an improvement not only in my Java fern, but all the rest of my plants as well.

This seems to be working in my case. 

Good Luck. 

Huh that's an intersting strategy! Particularly given the low iron content of easy green

Thanks for the tip! Maybe when I burn through the small bottle of Potassium fertilizer I just bought I'll look into Leafzone as a supplemental fert. Thanks again! 

6 hours ago, Irene said:

I agree - increasing potassium will probably do a world of good for your java fern. Here's another similar forum post that has some more ideas for potassium supplements:

Thank you very much! That other thread was very helpful. Added 3mL of seachem potassium today as an additive to my typical easy green regiment. Hopefully I’ll start to see improvements and dial in the dosing from here 🙂

• Like 1

Does anyone know if having a high nitrate issue [80-160 ppm out of the tap] (our well is basically poisoned from farm runoff - we are in process of buying a whole house filter - the purchase was delayed by our well pump going out) interferes with or consumes potassium? Because my Java fern is just pitted with black holes. 

I have powdered potassium that was given to me by a saltwater fish keeper when I bought something else from him.

If it would help to add it any guidance on how to dose it?