Cherry Shrimp Breeding

TheMilkman

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/breeding-red-cherry-shrimp

These guys are super adaptable and the recommended Ph according to this blog is 6.5-8.0. I just wonder if 8.2 is going to make that much of an impact and who is to say test kits are even that accurate you know? I have heard of people keeping them in levels higher than 8.0 and with no bad reports. Are they breeding? I have not idea. Cory has said in the past that he has bred Hillstream Loaches in hotter water temps than was recommended and I am surprised he didn't break the internet. The only way to find out put a pair in there without the hopes of them breeding and see if they surprise you. 

On 6/20/2022 at 3:32 PM, TheMilkman said:

I have a 10 gallon tank and im interested in breeding some cherry shrimp but my water is hard and about 8.2 ph. What are the chances of them breeding and having viable eggs?

The chances are excellent, assuming they acclimate to your tank okay.  My tank water is also very hard and 8.2 pH and they're constantly increasing.

If it's a new tank I'd encourage you to let it run for at least three months before introducing shrimp to give it time to build up biofilm.  A time or two I've tried introducing shrimp to a new tank, thinking that having plants and a filter from established tanks would be enough, but it never worked well.

Drip acclimate them to the new water. Grab air line hosing and drip tank water in to at minimum double the amount of water they shipped / packaged in, if you are patient go longer. The longer you go the less shocking the difference is between their original water and yours. Best of luck, my 10 gallon has thrown an insane number of shrimp over the last couple years.