Water parameters

sweetpoison

I hope I’m in the right section for this. So my tank is up and running cloudy with sand but I’m working on that, no fish yet. I’m testing my parameters I forget how often to do that. I tested everything on the ninth and then again today. And the ammonia has always been zero. According to other test shouldn’t I have at least 10 nitrates?  This tank cannot be cycled in one week ~ Can it?

I am not sure what to do next. Just wait? That requires patience not one of my virtues😂

Im thinking about doing a water change and sucking up all that dust and stirring up the sand and doing something to get rid of all this dust in the sand!

Thoughts on everything?

1C141054-76A6-4EA0-A904-F28C309E90BD.jpeg

DE58366A-B981-4B9D-A42C-72FAF74CDEB0.jpeg

83C735FB-A900-465D-8FD9-9A4A2E805637.jpeg

Edited by sweetpoison
I still have no idea what I’m doing
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 1:49 PM, sweetpoison said:

🤪🤪🤪

OK I have not dosed with ammonia.  So I’m getting this right ~ I don’t have any ammonia but we’re gonna dose with ammonia so I CAN have ammonia so we can get rid of it?

🤦‍♀️🫣😂

Yes LOL seems counterproductive doesn't it? You want zero ammonia to be your end goal, but yes you do have to start off with ammonia to get that bacteria colony started. @Pepere is right on the money with their instructions for doing a fishless cycle. Ammonia works the same way with a fish-in cycle, but the fish suffers a bit is the difference. You feed the fish, he 💩, that makes ammonia and eventually your bacteria colony grows enough to convert ammonia->nitrate->nitrite (harmless in small numbers). After it is done cycling your parameters should be 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrate and 05-40ppm nitrite. I would highly recommend Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 to boost your bacteria colony and give it a head start.

I knew something was wrong. I couldn’t understand how I could have zero ammonia in one week when I haven’t done anything😂 And I knew it couldn’t be cycled. And I don’t want to put fish in there I do want to do a fishless recycle. So now I have to buy some ammonia.  Well shitums.

I will buy some don’t go away guys cause I’m gonna need you😂🥴

Edited by sweetpoison
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 12:01 PM, Hannah Parker said:

Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 to boost your bacteria colony and give it a head start.

This one?  There are like five different ones

On 6/13/2022 at 11:48 AM, Pepere said:

L

I like dosing with ammonia chloride itself to a known concentration and then repeat dosing once it is fully converted.  When you can dose to 2ppm, and 24 hours later you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, your biofilter is pretty good.

If you simply dose with ammonia and do not seed your tank with bacteria it may take 6-8 weeks to have it cycled.

Seeding it with gravel or filter material from a cycled tank or using a quality bacteria in a bottle treatment can speed that up a fair amount.

Is this OK?

D0716731-859D-4D17-A079-3795A6014104.jpeg

95E09560-258A-4722-AD52-E4C90360F81E.jpeg

Edited by sweetpoison
  • Like 1

Also, in case you don't already know this, when people say "dose to 2 ppm ammonia" what's really meant is "2 ppm total ammonia" (which is the total amount of NH4+ and NH3 combined). The seachem alert test you have will only show the amount of NH3 and not the NH4+. So if you try to dose to 2 ppm ammonia and the seachem test shows you a much lower number, that's why.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 12:28 PM, modified lung said:

Also, in case you don't already know this, when people say "dose to 2 ppm ammonia" what's really meant is "2 ppm total ammonia" (which is the total amount of NH4+ and NH3 combined). The seachem alert test you have will only show the amount of NH3 and not the NH4+. So if you try to dose to 2 ppm ammonia and the seachem test shows you a much lower number, that's why.

Modified lung.  I understand exactly what you’re saying. Said no one ever😂

when I get my bottle I will come back here for instructions is that OK cause I have no idea what you’re talking about😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You’re killing me here, Pep🥴

so either one of those would be good? Also that’s good to know to dose for 16 gallons because I have a 20 long. When I buy that one I showed you or one of the ones I showed you I’m gonna come back here and find you😂

You can run but you can’t hide😐

Do you think one bottle will be enough?  As far  my heater you can’t turn it up or down ~  I’ve never had one like that nor my buying one at the moment.  Light kicks on when the temperature drops I guess so there’s no turning it up.

Edited by sweetpoison

Not sure what everyones experience is, but I didn't have a good experience with that Seachem ammonia alert. Mine would say that there was no ammonia (yellow) but when I tested using another test kit, it was a different story. Just to be sure, you might want to get ammonia test strips and test. For all you know, you might actually have some ammonia in there!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 12:34 PM, sweetpoison said:

Modified lung.  I understand exactly what you’re saying. Said no one ever😂

when I get my bottle I will come back here for instructions is that OK cause I have no idea what you’re talking about😞

Lol that's okay. It took me years to figure this stuff out. The basic thing I wanted to say is if you think you're putting in a lot of ammonia but your seachem alert card says there's very little ammonia, that's normal. It's just because Seachem measures the ammonia in a very different way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2022 at 1:36 PM, Cbass said:

Not sure what everyones experience is, but I didn't have a good experience with that Seachem ammonia alert. Mine would say that there was no ammonia (yellow) but when I tested using another test kit, it was a different story. Just to be sure, you might want to get ammonia test strips and test. For all you know, you might actually have some ammonia in there!

I thought that too I am going to get ammonia strips they’re actually in my cart on Amazon😂

On 6/13/2022 at 12:36 PM, Pepere said:

i wasnt aware the Seachem monitor was testing just free ammonia and not ammonia and ammonium. 

that is awfully good information to have.

Is it a good thing?  Do you trust that little monitor in my aquarium?

On 6/14/2022 at 1:50 AM, Pepere said:

I was not aware the Seachem monitor card was indicating specifically the Free ammonia.

However your test strip or liquid test will not likely agree with the card.

I like the fact the Seachem monitor card is specifically alerting you to toxic free ammonia.

I do like the idea of a monitor card one can glance at any time you are feeding the fish.

Of course you are weighing that against the appearance of the monitor card in your tank…

“However your test strip or liquid test will not likely agree with the card”

How come?

“I like the fact the Seachem monitor card is specifically alerting you to toxic free ammonia”

I like it too then☺️

“Of course you are weighing that against the appearance of the monitor card in your tank…”

Pep ~ I don’t understand this statement🤔

On 6/14/2022 at 10:38 AM, sweetpoison said:

“However your test strip or liquid test will not likely agree with the card”

How come?

“I like the fact the Seachem monitor card is specifically alerting you to toxic free ammonia”

I like it too then☺️

“Of course you are weighing that against the appearance of the monitor card in your tank…”

Pep ~ I don’t understand this statement🤔

Not to answer for @Pepere but the test strip and the liquid test both show the totals for both types of ammonia where as the card you have only tests for one. As for the last statement, they meant the aesthetics of having a card visible in your tank versus the utility of being able to just glance at it. Some people would not like having another thing to break up the environment of their tank and would rather just test for it occasionally.

Also, never feel bad about not knowing what people are talking about it. Everyone is new to the hobby at some point and have the same questions/ concerns. I am only a few months ahead of you and still learn a ton by reading other peoples questions.

Good luck!

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Thank you so much you’re very kind!  I had three or four I can’t remember now, 55 gallons of discus, my favorite fish in the whole world. But they require pristine water conditions and I did water changes every single day 🥴but that was years ago its going to be simpler now!

But reading over everybody’s post I’m learning SO much in this thread.  And I think I remember we just used straight household ammonia, but I don’t have any. So I ordered Tim’s lol. I have a Kazillion questions about that but I’ll wait till I get it!

That’s funny you should say that about some people don’t like to alter their tank’s appearance with yet another thing. That’s the first thing I thought when I stuck that puppy up there next to the thermometer that never EVER seems to change🤔 But that’s another thread in other topic, I’m gonna get the floating thermometer however I remember chasing that thing all around my tank trying to get it😂

Edited by sweetpoison
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 11:54 AM, drawnitsud said:

never feel bad about not knowing what people are talking about it.

I’m not new and I still must ask for clarification especially if it is a new to me concept. 🤗

On 6/14/2022 at 12:06 PM, sweetpoison said:

the first thing I thought when I stuck that puppy up there

In tanks I can see through the side I stick it low back in a corner and hide it with a plant so I can’t see it from the front view. Other tanks I plaster that puppy right up front not caring because it helps me monitor my tanks while being way to lazy to pull out the test kits 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2022 at 4:36 PM, Cbass said:

@Guppysnail and I were talking about this yesterday. She likes them because they detect toxic ammonia but don’t show readings for “false ammonia” (what some dechlorinators cause)

@sweetpoison This is how I think of the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia is food for bacteria A. Bacteria A eats it all & gives off nitrite. Nitrite is food for Bacteria B. Bacteria B eats it all & gives off nitrate. If at the end of things you’re only reading is nitrate, the tank is cycled.

And also plants like these things too! Plants’ first preference is ammonia, second preference is nitrite, third preference is nitrate. That’s why we dose Easy Green for plants. To keep nitrate up a bit for plant food.

• Like 3

I'm ORD (out of reactions for the day) and wanted to say thank you for the chuckles (I appreciate blunt honesty, like "said no one ever"), and the sincere HONEST help in here.

@sweetpoison if you managed to keep discus thriving in more than one tank, then my recommendation is....

Breathe. Trust yourself to listen to your tank. I love Cory's video using M7M's for cycling tanks... I love his video explaining the difference between cycled and seasoned even more. You said you want a little easier this time round (and not doing daily water changes) so I offer you a challenge:

Go slow.

Pay attention to your tank, and what order the different algaes show up.

Pay attention to the things you didn't get to pay attention to when you had discus (also my favorite species I've bred so far, and way more work or energy than I am currently willing/able to invest)

Play

Have fun

Ask questions

Boldly screw up in a fully committed kind of way, just to see what happens next (it's the secret to having fun)

And never stop asking questions, the worst thing we do as a society is shame people into not asking questions for fear of looking foolish. Your questions reinvigorate the hobby with fun. It's supposed to be fun, right?

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, Torrey said:

I'm ORD (out of reactions for the day) and wanted to say thank you for the chuckles (I appreciate blunt honesty, like "said no one ever"), and the sincere HONEST help in here.

@sweetpoison if you managed to keep discus thriving in more than one tank, then my recommendation is....

Breathe. Trust yourself to listen to your tank. I love Cory's video using M7M's for cycling tanks... I love his video explaining the difference between cycled and seasoned even more. You said you want a little easier this time round (and not doing daily water changes) so I offer you a challenge:

Go slow.

Pay attention to your tank, and what order the different algaes show up.

Pay attention to the things you didn't get to pay attention to when you had discus (also my favorite species I've bred so far, and way more work or energy than I am currently willing/able to invest)

Play

Have fun

Ask questions

Boldly screw up in a fully committed kind of way, just to see what happens next (it's the secret to having fun)

And never stop asking questions, the worst thing we do as a society is shame people into not asking questions for fear of looking foolish. Your questions reinvigorate the hobby with fun. It's supposed to be fun, right?

Welcome to the forum!

I loved your post thank you very much Torrey! My bacteria ammonia stuff is at my house now! So excited except I don’t know what I’m doing because my tank p is so cloudy and I don’t know if I should go ahead and hit it with that stuff or vacuum and clean it up get rid of that powdery sand or I don’t know what step to do first so I’ll be back in the morning!  I’ll be looking for you😂 these are my discus! One of my tanks and they were very mad at me they do that when I have just finished a water change😂

DDE63D69-5071-4F6D-91B5-0B05D0AAC3AE.jpeg

Edited by sweetpoison
  • Love 1