Water parameters

sweetpoison

On 6/15/2022 at 7:20 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Omg I finally now know what ORD means 🤣

Yes! That was the funniest thing! I was rolling when I read that!!! @sweetpoison you rock!

I didn’t know what that meant either I’m stealing it Torrey🤫

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeathank you for always being here seriously all you guys!  I’m going to be hitting that tank with ammonia tomorrow I think I’m not sure what to do first suck up all the powdery stuff and clean it up. Because I can’t do that after I hit it with ammonia can I?

A63D6990-6B94-4345-9164-3B8E079DAC25.jpeg

I guess my wet pets are going to  follow me all around🤪🤔

On 6/15/2022 at 10:32 PM, sweetpoison said:

thank you for always being here seriously all you guys!  I’m going to be hitting that tank with ammonia tomorrow I think I’m not sure what to do first suck up all the powdery stuff and clean it up. Because I can’t do that after I hit it with ammonia can I?

Of course! You’re very welcome. 🙂 Heck, I’m learning all kinds of tips too by being on this thread.

If you’re going to change water, yep.  Do it before the ammonia and bacteria goes in. Otherwise you’ll just be diluting that stuff.

Also don’t gravel vac into the sand. You just kind of keep the gravel vac at the top (if waste is there) of the sand at an angle.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

OK I don’t have to be at work tomorrow until two and I’m up so early. I’m gonna clean the tank try to suck up all the crappy sand dust. And then I’ll be back and you guys can tell me how much to hit it and what the next step is don’t tell me now, I will forget😂

how much

how often

and I had other questions but I can’t remember because I’m just coming off of a 12 hour shift so I’ll try to remember!  

ORD😂😂

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 8:23 PM, sweetpoison said:

I loved your post thank you very much Torrey! My bacteria ammonia stuff is at my house now! So excited except I don’t know what I’m doing because my tank p is so cloudy and I don’t know if I should go ahead and hit it with that stuff or vacuum and clean it up get rid of that powdery sand or I don’t know what step to do first so I’ll be back in the morning!  I’ll be looking for you😂 these are my discus! One of my tanks and they were very mad at me they do that when I have just finished a water change😂

DDE63D69-5071-4F6D-91B5-0B05D0AAC3AE.jpeg

I had a 120 gallon breeding tank, and several 75, plus a custom build headboard that was 60 gallons for a breeding pair. They have opinions, lol.

The powdery sand will resolve itself. Everytime you do a water change, you'll stir it up until plant roots start anchoring it. You can do big water changes to remove the suspended particles, just know that the more water changes, the longer it takes to get the tank stable. It really is about walking a middle path: everything has a trade off. Do one thing, and like pushing over a domino, it may take weeks to observe all the results of the single domino that got pushed over. That's why you'll see some of the older water keeping folx in here recommend change one thing, and then observe for a few weeks before changing something else.

Ever watch the Karate Kid?

Your tank has now taken on the roll of Mr Miyagi, get prepared for a whole lot of "wax on, wax off" except it will be "water in, water out, watch. Water out, water in, watch."

I've got appointments most of the day tomorrow, so probably will be in late, or on Friday.

I quit doing the ammonia route when I realized it was easier for me (I'm a lazy fish keeper) to just feed the fish I wanted to have eventually. Gave me plenty of opportunities to observe which fish foods are high quality and also contribute to healthy plants, and which contribute to more algae... by feeding one thing at a time and observing, lol.

Welcome [back] to the hobby, and there's only 2 ways to do it wrong:

• accidentally kill fish and not learn anything from the experience
  • not have fun

Everything else?

There's as many ways to cycle a tank, and probably even more ways to season a tank, as there are aquarists, tanks, and ornamental fish.

So, have fun with it!

As long as you don't have fish in there already, what's the worst thing that can happen, really?

On 6/15/2022 at 9:08 PM, Torrey said:

I had a 120 gallon breeding tank, and several 75, plus a custom build headboard that was 60 gallons for a breeding pair. They have opinions, lol.

The powdery sand will resolve itself. Everytime you do a water change, you'll stir it up until plant roots start anchoring it. You can do big water changes to remove the suspended particles, just know that the more water changes, the longer it takes to get the tank stable. It really is about walking a middle path: everything has a trade off. Do one thing, and like pushing over a domino, it may take weeks to observe all the results of the single domino that got pushed over. That's why you'll see some of the older water keeping folx in here recommend change one thing, and then observe for a few weeks before changing something else.

Ever watch the Karate Kid?

Your tank has now taken on the roll of Mr Miyagi, get prepared for a whole lot of "wax on, wax off" except it will be "water in, water out, watch. Water out, water in, watch."

I've got appointments most of the day tomorrow, so probably will be in late, or on Friday.

I quit doing the ammonia route when I realized it was easier for me (I'm a lazy fish keeper) to just feed the fish I wanted to have eventually. Gave me plenty of opportunities to observe which fish foods are high quality and also contribute to healthy plants, and which contribute to more algae... by feeding one thing at a time and observing, lol.

Welcome [back] to the hobby, and there's only 2 ways to do it wrong:

• accidentally kill fish and not learn anything from the experience
  • not have fun

Everything else?

There's as many ways to cycle a tank, and probably even more ways to season a tank, as there are aquarists, tanks, and ornamental fish.

So, have fun with it!

As long as you don't have fish in there already, what's the worst thing that can happen, really?

“I had a 120 gallon breeding tank, and several 75, plus a custom build headboard that was 60 gallons for a breeding pair. They have opinions, lol.”

You know it’s a lie without pictures🤭

“The powdery sand will resolve itself. Everytime you do a water change, you'll stir it up until plant roots start anchoring it”

That’s what I keep hearing and you’re right I keep stirring it all up. So I’m not going  do any more water changes.

“accidentally kill fish and not learn”

I did that once. I had one sick discus who was losing slime coat and we all know what that means, and then I went to go work on another tank and I sworn I washed my hands I ALWAYS do but clearly I didn’t and that shit spread like wildfire through all my tanks and it was MY fault🥺 talk about many meds, and expense but I never lost one. I lost part of my heart that week😕

I was thinking about getting one Discus. I know it’s not good to have two ~ three is better as there is always a bully but six is even better.  I had one discus that I rescued who lived with an angelfish for years they did great!

Anyways I’m gonna put in this filter floss that I got with my ammonia bottle, so the question I’m having now because I’d like to do that now is do I take out all my other sponges and put that in by itself?  It’s a tiny filter.

And so after I do that which I’d like to do right now, do I go hit with ammonia or wait?  I’ll be back for this and then tell me how much ammonia😜

On 6/15/2022 at 3:24 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@sweetpoison  If at the end of things you’re only reading is nitrate, the tank is cycled.

OK I like this.  how do I know when I’m at the end of things?  I guess when the reading is only nitrate? I’m sorry for dumb questions!

okay I’m gonna put in my filter floss now and then ammonia says to dose 4 drops per US gallon. Somebody said that even though I have 20 gallon dose for 16.  I am so bad at this ~ so 4×16 is 64… 

That’s a lot of drops ~ wonder how I can convert to teaspoons…Hate math!

It’s tough being me but somebody’s gotta do it😂

I’m not gonna dose his stuff until I get confirmation from one of you experts♥️

How long do I leave the filter moss in?  I’m thinking until the tank is clear ~ that was another dumb question🤦‍♀️Am I going to take it out and rinse it ever? Because my sponges are pretty dusty with sand.  Can we just leave the filter moss in indefinitely or no?

Edited by sweetpoison

Thank you for the link Pep!  

I have a syringe and I’m going to pull three ML of ammonia since I’m dosing for 16 gallons instead of 20. I’m just gonna pop that into the tank. And then wait ~ when do I test next?  When do I dose next after I test?

On 6/16/2022 at 11:49 AM, sweetpoison said:

Thank you for the link Pep!  

I have a syringe and I’m going to pull three ML of ammonia since I’m dosing for 16 gallons instead of 20. I’m just gonna pop that into the tank. And then wait ~ when do I test next?  When do I dose next after I test?

I wanted to let you know, your excitement is contagious! It's wonderful to see someone get this excited about the hobby!

My concern is how much anxiety are you carrying?

There aren't any live fish in the aquarium right now, correct?

On 6/16/2022 at 5:00 PM, Torrey said:

I wanted to let you know, your excitement is contagious! It's wonderful to see someone get this excited about the hobby!

My concern is how much anxiety are you carrying?

There aren't any live fish in the aquarium right now, correct?

I’m just tired of a cloudy tank I wish I never put sand in it!  And I had sand in most of my tanks and I never had this problem. That’s my only anxiety but I’m good♥️

No I do not have any fish in my tank yet!  So what are you saying Torrey  I’m excited over a cloudy empty tank😂😂😂

On 6/16/2022 at 5:42 PM, Torrey said:

That would mean my entire life before 2017 is a lie then, we lost everything in a house fire.

I’m SO SORRY!  I just tried to go get old pictures off of photobucket and they want to charge me to get my old pictures😡😡

Torrey ~ I added 3 ML of ammonia And look at my ammonia tag now!  The round circle is not yellow anymore I’m not sure what color it’s trying to be.

So what do I do next?  You have to tell me step-by-step because I will forget🥴🫣

4DF690DD-ED4C-46E0-9716-A395876323D8.jpeg

On 6/15/2022 at 9:08 PM, Torrey said:

"Every year I fix the car, not fix anything"

^^ Sounds like the same analogy as well.  Such a great movie. 😉

On 6/16/2022 at 5:54 PM, sweetpoison said:

I’m just tired of a cloudy tank I wish I never put sand in it!  And I had sand in most of my tanks and I never had this problem. That’s my only anxiety but I’m good♥️

No I do not have any fish in my tank yet!

I think it took about a week, week and a half on the tank I just setup and it didn't have any fine pad or anything, just ACO Sponges.  I use Seachem Clarity and it works "fine" but definitely recommend using it with a fine pad or something, even briefly.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:59 PM, sweetpoison said:

The round circle is not yellow anymore I’m not sure what color it’s trying to be.

Looks like it's between .05 and .2 ppm

On 6/16/2022 at 6:05 PM, sweetpoison said:

So what does that tell you exactly?

There is "some ammonia" in the water.  Beyond that not much.

The big thing with what you're doing is...

1. Add waste to encourage bacteria.
2. Add bacteria to handle the waste (or wait for it to grow)
3. Wait for both types to appear to handle both aspects of the nitrogen cycle.

Something Cory mentioned in one of his videos was building up the bioload the tank can handle. Let's say you want a tank where you feed 3 cubes of frozen food per day. You'd run a week at 1. then one at 2, then one at 3 and slowly build up to that bacterial load that your tank is able to handle.  You're essentially doing the same exercise here. Trying to get the "ammonia per day" for the tank to handle. Add the same amount, let the tank handle it.  

Others please chime in, this is just a "note" and not a statement on method. But I wanted to share that in the case it's relevant and explains what's going on.

• Love 1

I’m sorry to be such a pest and so needy. I was thinking that usually I would take sponges from other filters on other tanks to cycle a new tank.

Well I don’t have any more thanks to take a sponge from. That’s why I’m so confused I’ve never had this happen ~

you guys must think I’m an idiot LOL!   iIn retrospect think that actually myself. I fill this tank up and I’m just sitting around waiting for it to cycle and I haven’t even done anything😂😂🤦‍♀️ You all are probably thinking and “this woman raised discus?”

This all just hit me in the middle of the night🫣

This is hilarious!!  Actually embarrassing and I never embarrass😂😂

so I’ll just sit here and wait for someone to guide me to the next embarrassing step🥴

On 6/17/2022 at 5:36 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

& don’t be embarrassed. This is what the forum is for. We have people of all experience levels here. We want people to learn; to keep this hobby alive and growing

We all started with zero knowledge and we all miss things right in front of us. At work I use a lot of Hach brand test strips to get a quick, rough reading. It took me a year to realize I was using the ammonia strips wrong. Turns out they might actually be really accurate.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

OK guys I have a plan I’ve done some due diligence let me know what you think!

I am going to hit this tank every other day with 3ML of ammonia. For three weeks and then When I start seeing nitrites my ammonia will go down.  I think🥴 

then ~ once I see nitrites hit 0 I will start adding ammonia daily Can I add ammonia again I think, and if it’s zero do a large water change and if it’s still zero the next day it’s cycle then I can add fish?

Gosh hopes that’s right it’s embedded in my brain at this point!

Two questions, how often do a test and is there a timeframe do I have to add fish right away because I might not be possible

On 6/17/2022 at 8:09 AM, modified lung said:

We all started with zero knowledge and we all miss things right in front of us. At work I use a lot of Hach brand test strips to get a quick, rough reading. It took me a year to realize I was using the ammonia strips wrong. Turns out they might actually be really accurate.

Well how can you use a stripper wrong?  I just dip it in three seconds bring it out wait 60 and read it. Please tell me that’s not wrong😂

I don’t have my ammonia strips yet so I’m relying on that ammonia dial in my aquarium…

Oh my!  STRIP Definitely not stripper I am so sorry!☺️

On 6/17/2022 at 8:11 AM, sweetpoison said:

Well how can you use a stripper wrong?

These specific strips have a big second pad that changes the pH of the water sample before testing it for ammonia and it's only accurate if it's used in a 3 milliliter sample of water.  It was in the instructions. I just missed it.

On 6/17/2022 at 8:11 AM, sweetpoison said:

I am going to hit this tank every other day with 3ML of ammonia. For three weeks and then When I start seeing nitrites my ammonia will go down.  I think🥴 

Make sure not to go much over 5 ppm ammonia. Above that and a different species of bacteria starts growing which won't help much in aquariums.