Aquarium books

dan12boy

Hey y’all, I wanted to know if y’all knew any aquarium books that were worth the read. I’m about to buy Rachael o’leary’s book on nano fish because nano fish are my stuff over big fish. Even for my 75 it’s gonna be nano fish only…the more the merrier! So I wanted to know if there’s other books to give me possible plants or fishes most don’t know about. 

• Like 1

It’s a little of both. It also explains how to build a natural tank and all the benefits of plants. Such as plants produce allelochemicals to control their population and to deter predators like snails. So when a plant leaf dies, it no longer produces the allelochemicals and that’s how the snail knows it’s allowed to eat that leaf. There’s a lot of interesting stuff in there, based on science and research. If you search for videos on Walstad tanks or Walstad-inspired tanks, they are made by people following the tips in her book on how to create the most natural and beneficial environment for fish by using plants.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 1:25 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

It’s a little of both. It also explains how to build a natural tank and all the benefits of plants. Such as plants produce allelochemicals to control their population and to deter predators like snails. So when a plant leaf dies, it no longer produces the allelochemicals and that’s how the snail knows it’s allowed to eat that leaf. There’s a lot of interesting stuff in there, based on science and research. If you search for videos on Walstad tanks or Walstad-inspired tanks, they are made by people following the tips in her book on how to create the most natural and beneficial environment for fish by using plants.

Okay thank you!! That is an amazing fact that I never knew, I always thought that they just knew it was dead or dying because of maybe texture or color but now I know the true reason! That’s a book I will definitely get someday! I wish the was an online version though. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 3:43 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Me too. I ended up borrowing it from the library.

I started the Rachael O’Leary book yesterday and finished by the time I was off work. I enjoyed it a lot and learned a lot too. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 12:36 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

What’s that one about?

It’s mainly about 101 true nano freshwater species, their care and for some breeding advice. Tells you minimum tank sizes, possible stocking options and other stuff. It also suggests plants good for nano tanks and possible crustacean or non-fish species for nano tanks too. It’s a fun read. Only thing I didn’t agree with was the tank requirement for bettas, she gave it 1 gallon but it could be because it’s outdated information. 

On 6/13/2022 at 1:47 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I have this one.  It's a pretty cool "coffee table" type of a book. 

Dennerle Aquascaping Guide by Stefan Hummel & Chris Lukhaup Book The Fast  Free 9783943968200 | eBay

Is there a digital version

On 6/12/2022 at 1:39 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

It sounds interesting! Perhaps my next read!

Definitely should be! It’s just $10 on Amazon for kindle and $18 for the soft cover. And it’s a quick but informative read too.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 2:29 PM, dan12boy said:

Definitely should be! It’s just $10 on Amazon for kindle and $18 for the soft cover. And it’s a quick but informative read

My library uses an ebook rental app now! So I just go in the app and click borrow and presto, it shows up on my tablet. Free!  I will see if this book is in there.

I've read a few books about bettas but my favorite is the Betta Bible by Martin Brammah. I'm still trying to get through The Ecology of a Planted Tank. For getting started with aquascaping George Farmer's Aquascaping: A Step by Step Guide is good. In a youtube video, he talked about a new book he was helping a friend with. It's suppose to be about biotope tanks and to raise awareness about habitat destruction.  I have Rachel O'leary's book on my Kindle but haven't read it yet.

On 6/14/2022 at 3:41 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

My library uses an ebook rental app now! So I just go in the app and click borrow and presto, it shows up on my tablet. Free!  I will see if this book is in there.

For free?? That’s super lucky. You don’t have to buy a library card or anything?

On 6/14/2022 at 7:03 PM, sairving said:

I've read a few books about bettas but my favorite is the Betta Bible by Martin Brammah. I'm still trying to get through The Ecology of a Planted Tank. For getting started with aquascaping George Farmer's Aquascaping: A Step by Step Guide is good. In a youtube video, he talked about a new book he was helping a friend with. It's suppose to be about biotope tanks and to raise awareness about habitat destruction.  I have Rachel O'leary's book on my Kindle but haven't read it yet.

Does the beta book specifically about betta splendens or other betta species? I would love to read the new one because I enjoy biotopes just haven’t created one yet. 

And you should definitely read Rachel’s book, it’s really good! 

• Like 1

@dan12boyI had to grab my kindle because its been a while since I've read Betta Bible. The author talks about taxonomy, anatomy, geography, the history of betta splendens, breeding, a chapter on fish fighting (he doesn't condone fish fighting), fin shape (he talks about wild bettas a bit more here), genetics and how it relates to color, bodyshape etc, care, breeding, diseases, and probably some other topics I missed here. Its an interesting book since so many other betta books are very basic.

On 6/15/2022 at 7:05 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Library cards don’t cost anything; all you have to do is go into a library and ask for one. Your tax dollars hard at work. 🙂

They sure don't!  And from somebody who went to library school (for archives) reference librarians can find anything for you. 

• Like 3

So true! And these days I rent most everything from the library e-reader app on my tablet!  I just find what I want and click borrow. It sends me an email reminder when it’s due back and I just click the return button. I never have to leave home!

Also archive.org is a site where you can read a ton of books for free. It’s the Library of Congress, but it’s not law books, etc - it’s all kinds of books. Available to everyone. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2022 at 2:19 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Also archive.org is a site where you can read a ton of books for free. It’s the Library of Congress, but it’s not law books, etc - it’s all kinds of books. Available to everyone. 

One of my favorite things to find some cool stuff you'd never find anywhere else.

This is what I just got.  It's "tangentially" related to the hobby and it talks about a lot of related topics, sustainability mostly and how that goes down the chain towards the consumer and all the products we use day to day.

20220719_162457_1.JPG.604e5b04d7077b40eead6c7a8ad5ae0c.JPG

On 7/19/2022 at 7:27 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

One of my favorite things to find some cool stuff you'd never find anywhere else.

This is what I just got.  It's "tangentially" related to the hobby and it talks about a lot of related topics, sustainability mostly and how that goes down the chain towards the consumer and all the products we use day to day.

20220719_162457_1.JPG.604e5b04d7077b40eead6c7a8ad5ae0c.JPG

Did you ever see the guy that pets sharks and gets them to stop swimming and stuff? Idk if he’s called the shark whisperer or what. But he understands the electrical field they navigate by or sense with or whatnot. (?) He gets them to be really docile just by knowing how to manipulate that field.

On 7/19/2022 at 4:37 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:
On 7/19/2022 at 4:27 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Did you ever see the guy that pets sharks and gets them to stop swimming and stuff?

One of my favorite moments I've seen. He went free diving in south Africa where the GWs hunt seals and torpedo above the water. He had 3-4 surrounding him and if he swam up that would've been it!  He was trying to build up the technique and courage for getting the sharks of multiple sizes into tonic immobility. Very amazing to see.

• Love 1