Experiments with the Walstad style aquarium: Make way for the Emperor

ange

Emperor is being treated for fin rot. He had some tears on his caudal fin but the edges are looking rough so I've gone ahead and dosed him with Maracyn. He's eating well and very active, the pygmy cories are doing what pygmy cories do. If it returns after treatment I'll have to look for an environmental trigger for it, though I suspect he may be prone to it due to how big and heavy his fins are.

It's hard to take pictures because he's scared of the phone, even with me turning off other lights in the room. He even went and hid behind the Ludwigia at one point while I was trying to look at his fins.

20201120_145333.jpg

20201120_145406.jpg

20201120_151154.jpg

• Like 2

We're on day 2 of Maracyn with Emperor. This is just after the water change so the water is a bit cloudy! Hopefully the damage is a bit more visible in these photos. I'm hoping that in the series here can help people visualize how long it can take to treat + heal from minor diseases. It often sounds like something that should go away overnight but unfortunately it takes time (like all things with fish).

20201121_181847.jpg

20201121_181924.jpg

20201121_181936.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Emperor is doing much better, though his fins are still healing. Things got worse before they got better and he ended up with some very ragged edges. I let things rest for a couple of weeks (with extra water changes due to BB die-off) and recently added some mixed Ludwigia from another tank. It's growing into a very jungle/forgotten vibe that I love 🥰

20201206_132431.jpg

20201206_132708.jpg

• Like 3