lead weight with the Floating Christmas moss ball

jeffrey

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had these moss balls so it might be different but once I left a lead tie around some cabomba I planted and forgot about it. 

When I wanted to move the bunch, the roots had absorbed a lot of lead and were black and the texture didn't seem right. 

Bear in mind that the lead was nestled right up to the roots for about two months so you're mileage may vary. You likely won't see any impact immediately. 

It seems like the other posters have had better luck than I did 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by Forthejoy

plant-weights_240x.jpg?v=1590735505
WWW.AQUARIUMCOOP.COM

Lead weights to help make sure your plants stay where you want them! These are aquarium safe. They are a much higher quality than your average plant weight. A package contains 10 weights. These contain lead but we...

^ For reference.

I wouldn't put bare lead in an aquarium. Certainly not in a planted aquarium. Positively not if pH is on the low side. But I wouldn't regardless. Small amounts doesn't appear to be too bad for fish though! Or we don't notice they getting dumber or more susceptible to infections as readily as we do in humans. Being an element it will of course not "go away" but go somewhere.

Just my 5 cents.

2 hours ago, darkG said:
WWW.AQUARIUMCOOP.COM

Lead weights to help make sure your plants stay where you want them! These are aquarium safe. They are a much higher quality than your average plant weight. A package contains 10 weights. These contain lead but we...

^ For reference.

I wouldn't put bare lead in an aquarium. Certainly not in a planted aquarium. Positively not if pH is on the low side. But I wouldn't regardless. Small amounts doesn't appear to be too bad for fish though! Or we don't notice they getting dumber or more susceptible to infections as readily as we do in humans. Being an element it will of course not "go away" but go somewhere.

Just my 5 cents.

Oh ok. I'm certainly hesitant to put lead in but perhaps it's a mix or coated. I think Aquarium Coop tests their stuff pretty thoroughly and they have raised orders of magnitude more fish and plants than I ever have so I am inclined to trust them. 

You're right about pH though, definitely something to keep in mind.

I'm thinking the brand has had good results because the concentration of lead leached from this product (specifically) doesn't go over natural levels with regular water changes. Perhaps my poor results were because of using a different product.

5 hours ago, darkG said:
WWW.AQUARIUMCOOP.COM

^ For reference.

Just my 5 cents.

Why not a planted aquarium?  I'd say a planted tank is the perfect place for lead. 

How low of Ph for it to be on the "low side"?

ijce.banner.jpg
WWW.HINDAWI.COM

Heavy metals are among the most important sorts of contaminant in the environment. Several methods already used to clean up the environment...

Lead-Mine1.jpg
INSIDESCIENCE.ORG

(Inside Science) -- A new solution for purifying drinking water polluted with lead could be growing under our feet. Researchers in Japan have discovered...

1 hour ago, KBOzzie59 said:

Why not a planted aquarium?  I'd say a planted tank is the perfect place for lead. 

How low of Ph for it to be on the "low side"?

ijce.banner.jpg
WWW.HINDAWI.COM

Heavy metals are among the most important sorts of contaminant in the environment. Several methods already used to clean up the environment...

Lead-Mine1.jpg
INSIDESCIENCE.ORG

(Inside Science) -- A new solution for purifying drinking water polluted with lead could be growing under our feet. Researchers in Japan have discovered...

It's the other way around, you dont want lead where there are plants but plants do absorb lead so if you need to clean up the water plants might help. But if you didn't want it there why put it there! Plants don't benefit from it but may develop roots and what not more poorly. And, again, why help distribute this problematic element? It's not that the plants somehow make it go away from the world. 

Somewhere over pH 7 less lead seems to go into solution, somewhere still over 6 it drastically increases. I advice nobody to take my word for it, I am no chemist and my Google is about as good as yours. 

Look, most industries are trying to replace lead, I don't see why aquarium enthusiasts of all people should be less concerned.

I am not at all suggesting that these weights are a massive (pun) problem, in fact I can't tell. Bottom line: The lead will to some extent disperse, and that is a problem because of its toxicity and indestructibility. If it did cure cancer it would be worth it, just being rather heavy isn't good enough. That's my take.

Edited by darkG

13 minutes ago, darkG said:

It's the other way around, you dont want lead where there are plants but plants do absorb lead so if you need to clean up the water plants might help. But if you didn't want it there why put it there! Plants don't benefit from it but may develop roots and what not more poorly. And, again, why help distribute this problematic element? It's not that the plants somehow make it go away from the world. 

Somewhere over pH 7 less lead seems to go into solution, somewhere still over 6 it drastically increases. I advice nobody to take my word for it, I am no chemist and my Google is about as good as yours. 

Look, most industries are trying to replace lead, I don't see why aquarium enthusiasts of all people should be less concerned.

I am not at all suggesting that these weights are a massive (pun) problem, in fact I can't tell. Bottom line: The lead will to some extent disperse, and that is a problem because of its toxicity and indestructibility. If it did cure cancer it would be worth it, just being rather heavy isn't good enough. That's my take.

I'm actually in the water/wastewater treatment field.  So it's not all google.