First mini pond

Imperfect_aquatics

I set up my first mini pond today. I bought plants that I thought looked cool…without knowing anything about them 😬 the pond is a 10…ish gallon system between the main pond and the water it holds on top. I’ve currently got it stocked with a few rice fish in hopes they have some babies throughout the summer. Just going to see how it goes and see if the plants survive. The fish have been happily living in it without plants for about a month. I’m just north of Seattle by the co op.

I guess my biggest question for @brandonnaturallyand everyone else is will the plants help with water quality? It’s pretty green and murky and I can barely see the fish unless they come to the surface. I’ve even done water changes on the pond but it only seems to be getting worse, visually. 

p.s. the 5 gallon tank next to it was a plant holding/growing tank. 

BACD17B8-5481-4276-ADA7-E7414D36FEE7.jpeg.5cba0aeceee6efeb8bd13b82ee1276eb.jpeg63510085-E582-4FCE-865B-1DE854A4E566.jpeg.827481bcfa36199106a0b9ac8859ed2b.jpegD1C2557E-96D6-4558-9307-59D3A0CB18D4.jpeg.a90cb51ee4b5575249c0e2e8ea1d80c4.jpegC52A2221-74AA-46C5-88AD-EBD4D7415994.jpeg.3221c7256802bd2d12c3c2a7f63c6d12.jpegthanks for everyone’s help!

Matt

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Fish love the green water. Not bad water quality. Just green-water algae. Amazing stuff for fry to eat. Keep going! Looks just fine.

Chose some of the same potted plant for one of my tubs yesterday. I'm all in on Guppies. 

9E702A26-C29E-4F61-A3E0-BBC173D8C738.jpeg.ac258dbe2297f9b92802710a3a6ce1f3.jpeg

7C5794CD-AB7A-4F36-BDF3-538F84C86E6B.jpeg.98812acccbcb0e71a56f020116385843.jpeg

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

On 6/4/2022 at 8:16 PM, Fish Folk said:

Fish love the green water. Not bad water quality. Just green-water algae. Amazing stuff for fry to eat. Keep going! Looks just fine.

Chose some of the same potted plant for one of my tubs yesterday. I'm all in on Guppies. 

9E702A26-C29E-4F61-A3E0-BBC173D8C738.jpeg.ac258dbe2297f9b92802710a3a6ce1f3.jpeg

7C5794CD-AB7A-4F36-BDF3-538F84C86E6B.jpeg.98812acccbcb0e71a56f020116385843.jpeg

I wish it was warm enough to do guppies outside here!

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 11:33 AM, Patrick_G said:

I've found that the green water comes and goes in cycles, but keeping the pond shaded seems to keep the green to a minimum. 

Good to know! It’ll get just a few hours of morning sun but will be shaded by the house the majority of that day. Hopefully that’ll help it 🤞

Looks fantastic Matt! Yes, the plants should help with the water clarity, definitely. I think what will happen is eventually the floaters will start propagating and shade out the water a bit, competing for resources and shading the light out. I'd up the water changes a bit until the plants catch up and start covering the surface and it should get better overtime!

I'd say it's Brandon approved! 😉 

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2022 at 1:28 PM, brandonnaturally said:

Looks fantastic Matt! Yes, the plants should help with the water clarity, definitely. I think what will happen is eventually the floaters will start propagating and shade out the water a bit, competing for resources and shading the light out. I'd up the water changes a bit until the plants catch up and start covering the surface and it should get better overtime!

I'd say it's Brandon approved! 😉 

Thanks Brandon!!!! Little did I know I was going to add another tank to my water changing schedule! Lol

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2022 at 1:38 AM, MattHasMTS said:

Sorry I'm late to the game, but how is it going? Where I am, it averages 95, a little warm for guppies. I will be trying a pond anyway though, I will just make it shady and watch the temperature closely.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 3:26 PM, Guppy Guy said:

Sorry I'm late to the game, but how is it going? Where I am, it averages 95, a little warm for guppies. I will be trying a pond anyway though, I will just make it shady and watch the temperature closely.

Mini pond is looking phenomenal! Everybody was right about the plants clearing up the water. I think I only did one or two big water changes early on and the water has been crystal clear ever since! 🙌 The plants are growing better than I ever could've imagined up top too, I thought for sure they’d all be dead in a week! I’ve been dosing it with easy green, not sure if I really need to but it doesn’t seem to be hurting anything.

Hoping your guppy pond works out! I’ve kept guppies in fairly high temps with GBR and it seemed to work. I think if you keep things shaded it’ll work out just fine!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have you seen any medaka fry yet? I use java moss for spawning and find that if I don't remove the moss, the fry that are born don't last due to parental predation. On the flip side, most a bunch of java moss after a week into a spare tub, jar, critter keeper, whatever, results in a bunch of fry hatching, which I then move to a grow out tub 🙂 Hope you get some babies yet this summer!

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 2:54 PM, PedroPete said:

Have you seen any medaka fry yet? I use java moss for spawning and find that if I don't remove the moss, the fry that are born don't last due to parental predation. On the flip side, most a bunch of java moss after a week into a spare tub, jar, critter keeper, whatever, results in a bunch of fry hatching, which I then move to a grow out tub 🙂 Hope you get some babies yet this summer!

That’s great to know! I haven’t seen any fry yet which is a bummer but the fish seem happy (probably from a protein packed fry diet 🙄) and the plants are exploding! 

There is a very slow “waterfall” in the pond and I’m wondering if that might be creating to much current? Most of the rice fish set ups I’ve seen are basically still so that could be contributing to the lack of fry? There is a TON of water lettuce and hyacinth covering basically the entire top of the water and I haven’t really moved it around and looked for fry, so I might have some and just not realize it…maybe I’ll go take a look now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 1:38 AM, MattHasMTS said:

If you are growing green water, chances are the water is probably warm enough for guppies for some of the year.

Where do you live? I live in Connecticut and I keep fish outside, and just bring some of them in for the winter to keep the culture going if the one outside fails.

• Like 1

I’m just north of Seattle, pretty close to the co op actually. The water has been crystal clear for several months after the initial bloom when I set up the pond. It’s in a shady corner of the deck so even with temps being in the 80’s the water seems to be hovering at 60-70 degrees. The rice fish seem super happy with it though. 

I’m thinking of maybe setting up another one next year in a place that gets more sun. I haven’t gotten any fry and I’m wondering if the fish just want to get be a little bit warmer to breed. The plants are thriving and I haven’t lost any fish, so I can’t really complain. We tend to have more mild winters than you guys out east. I’m planning on adding a small heater once the temps drop and cover the plants in frost cloth…and hope for the best 🤞