Aggressive Algae eaters!

NormsAquatics

I purchased 3 Chinese algae eaters from the LFP and two turned agressive. The option to take them back isn't available considering there behavior. I don't have an appropriate tank to home them separately either. I have considered calling other stores but haven't yet and there are no clubs in my area to share them with. 16541198638847506574518600515639.jpg.b8ccd7f229c96953db2ad32a96b72a91.jpg

My question is, what would you do?

16541199032003170571972839826336.jpg.adc18c75ab293c9d3b542e088a437da0.jpg

On 6/1/2022 at 5:45 PM, NormsAquatics said:

I purchased 3 Chinese algae eaters from the LFP and two turned agressive. The option to take them back isn't available considering there behavior. I don't have an appropriate tank to home them separately either. I have considered calling other stores but haven't yet and there are no clubs in my area to share them with. 16541198638847506574518600515639.jpg.b8ccd7f229c96953db2ad32a96b72a91.jpg

My question is, what would you do?

16541199032003170571972839826336.jpg.adc18c75ab293c9d3b542e088a437da0.jpg

I’d try your best to find someone who can take 2 of them. Your tank looks very open. A densely planted tank may help to curb aggression. But Chinese algae eaters are aggressive in general. It’s usually advised to keep only one in a tank unless it’s a pretty big tank

• Thanks 1

If you can, unless you want to retain one, I would look on rehousing them in general. CAE's generally have an aggressive nature as Zac already mentioned. Aggression isn't always limited to their species, but to others as well. They have been found attacking other fish to feed off their slime coats. If you don't have a local store that can take them or a local club, maybe check out some social media platforms to verify there are no local groups. As strange as it is to some to think there are never other hobbyists near you, you'd be surprised. Someone with a tank setup with more aggressive species would be ideal for these guys as they would be kept in check. 

• Thanks 1

Update: I found a store that will take the agressive CAE off my hands for trade, so hopefully they have the Betta I want 😊 down side. I found out that none of the LFP will buy fish from local breeders 😭 I was really hoping to not start a webpage to start side gig...

On 6/1/2022 at 7:49 PM, Zac said:

I’d try your best to find someone who can take 2 of them. Your tank looks very open. A densely planted tank may help to curb aggression. But Chinese algae eaters are aggressive in general. It’s usually advised to keep only one in a tank unless it’s a pretty big tank

I've tried getting more to grow than just stems but that's all that seems to grow. I have about 6 decent hides in the two tanks and the agressive fish seem to be the only ones that use them. I wish my ground cover came in proper or other plants had been successful, I'm sure that would have helped.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought CAE a couple of weeks ago, and they are not good community fish. Elmer (his name) came home with my intention of keeping him solo in a tank. Right  now he is sharing with 3 Pygmy corydoras and a few RCS, and they seem to love him. He appears to be fine with all of them for now, but we’ll see what happens as he starts growing. They are fun little fish!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 10:56 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I just bought CAE a couple of weeks ago, and they are not good community fish. Elmer (his name) came home with my intention of keeping him solo in a tank. Right  now he is sharing with 3 Pygmy corydoras and a few RCS, and they seem to love him. He appears to be fine with all of them for now, but we’ll see what happens as he starts growing. They are fun little fish!

I hated giving them up. I'm also just out the money too unfortunately but I earned a level up in fish knowledge 😉