Albino cory and Hillstream loach

yassy

Hi. I just got Albino cory and Hillstream loach delivered. I would like to ask about quarantine method.

I normally do quarantine with 1 tbs aquarium salt / 5 gallon ratio and dosing paraguard 2 weeks plus 2-3 weeks observation.

I read hillstream loach is not good for paraguard so I need other method and thinking of trying out med trio method; 1 packet antibiotic med like erythromycin, 1 packet general cure, and 1 tsp ich X for 10 gallon quarantine tank.

1. Can I still use standard dose of aquarium salt for hillstream loach? Or they do not do well at all at any amount of salt in the water?

2. Med trio full dose as I written above is ok for albino cory and hillstream loach and nothing harm them?

3.Am I understanding correctly;to do the med trio, dose all in one shot and let them be in that water for next 7 days and 8th day, water change and gradually removing med? Or I am understanding wrong?

4. What quarantine method do you use especially for hillstream loach? The seller does 1 month quarantine on their side so, chance of getting illness is lower but still they gets scoop up and bagged and shipped so, I like to quarantine them. I could do observe without med for 1 month too if that was much less stress on fish and better when I know seller did that much long quarantine time.

Thank you.

Hi Yassy, Keeping in mind I don't use the Med Trio:

1. I've used salt in my Flex 9 with a Hillstream. I've done at most 1 tablespoon- they are fine- no adverse effects. 

2. Yes, according to ACO they've tested it on everything they sell and shrimp/snails and they are safe. 

3. Yes, or if you suspect weak or ill fish you follow the weak or ill fish procedure outlined on ACO store website- they give you instructions for both. 

4. It depends. Go with your gut. I only QT and observe- if they show signs of illness that's the only time I treat personally- that's just me. I would wait a minimum of 3 weeks just as a general rule- as long as they weren't sick/treated for illness while in QT  and have been healthy the wholt time- they can go in the tank. If you have a trusted seller, like ACO (or if you trust the seller you bought from- experience with them) then you could likely do less!

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 11:31 AM, yassy said:

1. Can I still use standard dose of aquarium salt for hillstream loach? Or they do not do well at all at any amount of salt in the water?

I have (had 😕 ) borneo loaches, a different species, but They did not have any issues with the salt.  I had the API salt and Fritz salt, I dosed whatever was on the package itself.

If you have a "sensitive" species here is cory's recommendation.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

@xXInkedPhoenixX    

Thank you. When you say 1 tbs salt, is it 1 tbs/10 G or 1 tbs/5G/ Which one?

I could not tell from outside the bag but when I opened the bag and put them into the specimen container, it was not looking like the Hillstream loach I got last time from the same seller.. I googled it and it looks like Borneo sucker...

I of course sent e-mail to them but no reply yet.

I normally used paraguard (I used on cory but not hillstream before) because gentler antibiotic I heard. If I could not use that, I wanted to put in aquarium salt if I could and either observe 4 weeks and treat if something popped up OR try the med trio for the first time on this occasion...

I am more feeling like maybe just observe with salt in the water...and 1 month in quarantine.