Looking for a gut check on tank stocking

I feel like I’m terrible at judging how much I can stock a tank. Even with the calculators online— for some reason my brain just doesn’t want to work with the inputs and outputs. Something about the math involved makes me. 🤢

So I’m just looking for a gut check from the much more experienced folks on the forum! 

My tank:

40 gallon breeder, water parameters are consistently stable, really only need to do a 25% water change maybe once every two weeks to clear some of the debris from the bottom gravel. Decently planted with lots of hiding spots and coverage. 

My community:

1 male Plakat betta, 1 female bristle nose pleco, 1 panda garra, 2 honey gourami (male + female), 10 panda cory, 9 Rasbora hets, 6 green neon tetra, 4 amano shrimp, 3 assassin snails. 

When I list it all out it seems like a lot, but my experience with my tank being reliably stable makes me feel like it might be fine? The tank doesn’t “look” cramped and there are no issues with aggression. The betta may chase a rasbora here and there but otherwise everyone gets along and interact really well with one another  

Maybe I’m overthinking it! Just want to make sure I’m providing my little buddies with a healthy environment. 

Im sure this question has nothing to do with the beautiful gold rams I saw at the co-op yesterday 😅

Edited by SpacedCadette

You didn't state what temp. you keep the tank but generally speaking betta will want 78-80. This is on the warm side for panda cory which are generally speaking a cool water cory (one of the few). 

Forget the gold rams (not that you were considering them). They are a warm water fish that will want 82-84. Some folks keep them at 78 but generally speaking most have better results in the warmer range. The only other issue (which is probably minor) is the betta might go after the shrimp if he can find them 😉

-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2022 at 4:47 PM, anewbie said:

You didn't state what temp. you keep the tank but generally speaking betta will want 78-80. This is on the warm side for panda cory which are generally speaking a cool water cory (one of the few). 

Forget the gold rams (not that you were considering them). They are a warm water fish that will want 82-84. Some folks keep them at 78 but generally speaking most have better results in the warmer range. The only other issue (which is probably minor) is the betta might go after the shrimp if he can find them 😉

-

I keep the tank at 77 and so far it’s been working out. Lots of plump, happy, active cories and same for the betta! 

I briefly entertained the idea of bringing home a ram, but yes! That warmer temp makes it a no go for the community tank- just got me thinking about getting another one set up. 😆 

@anewbie @Scapexghost thank you both for taking the time to take a look and share thoughts! Definitely feeling reassured about my current tank and its residents. ☺️

Edited by SpacedCadette

On 5/26/2022 at 4:04 PM, SpacedCadette said:

My tank:

40 gallon breeder, water parameters are consistently stable, really only need to do a 25% water change maybe once every two weeks to clear some of the debris from the bottom gravel. Decently planted with lots of hiding spots and coverage. 

My community:

1 male Plakat betta, 1 female bristle nose pleco, 1 panda garra, 2 honey gourami (male + female), 10 panda cory, 9 Rasbora hets, 6 green neon tetra, 4 amano shrimp, 3 assassin snails. 

What is your filter?  I'll post the results with assuming an AC70.

As others have mentioned, I'd recommend moving the betta and dropping the temp to 72-74

image.png.a3f85b05659d56a64743b6474aa7ba95.png

without the betta, everything is the same except:

Recommended temperature range: 71.6 - 77 F.

• Thanks 1