Nitrite Snail Dead -Playing Possum or Playing Houdini

Bev C

Nettie snails, so  I had 2 die on me before . I know they have an ammonia smell  when they are dead, I know  they  sleep for days then bounce  back

This was strange . My snail was upside down .. I thought he just got turned upside down his shell was closed  so I put  it on the sponge   their favorite spot   near the plastic tube where the air comes out   

Kept a eye on him It had not moved 5  days  I took it out,  smelled no smell at all So I  Put it back upright   .. But  next day ... today it;s shell opening is open I am not sure if he died on own , or  a fish got him   He was in the same spot upright ... as  I left him  looks  like he was not disturbed at all  if another tank mate  got him wouldn't his shell  be disturbed   ,,, I did not have one disappear or die left the shell  the  two I had before that  died in the shell   any info would appreciate 

Is his foot attached to whatever he’s on? Or closed up in his shell?  I’m sure if another fish was nibbling/mouthing on the shell they could probably move him around a bit if he’s not attached. I’d say keep watching and sniffing. Time will tell. Wish you luck. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 5:47 PM, Bev C said:

Nettie snails, so  I had 2 die on me before . I know they have an ammonia smell  when they are dead, I know  they  sleep for days then bounce  back

This was strange . My snail was upside down .. I thought he just got turned upside down his shell was closed  so I put  it on the sponge   their favorite spot   near the plastic tube where the air comes out   

Kept a eye on him It had not moved 5  days  I took it out,  smelled no smell at all So I  Put it back upright   .. But  next day ... today it;s shell opening is open I am not sure if he died on own , or  a fish got him   He was in the same spot upright ... as  I left him  looks  like he was not disturbed at all  if another tank mate  got him wouldn't his shell  be disturbed   ,,, I did not have one disappear or die left the shell  the  two I had before that  died in the shell   any info would appreciate 

I hope someone comes up with a definite answer.  If your snail is not dead, it means I killed one of mine.  I know they sleep, but I have never seen one sleep on it's back, as that would leave them vulnerable.  More than a week later, mine never did open up or smell.

• Like 1

I recently watched a video by a snail breeder/lover and learned some tips. If a snail is sick it can be taken out of water for no longer than 15 minutes, then put back. (The snails have an organ that they use to breathe air.)  This is called an air bath and the breeder said it is the only medicine for a sick snail. During the 15 minutes, the snail must be kept on a hand towel that is wet with tank water. Do not let the towel dry; ladle some more tank water on it if necessary. After the snail is put back in the tank, it should resume activity. 

The breeder mentioned nerites have trouble righting themselves if they are upside down, so when placing the nerite gently back in the tank, make sure to put their opening downwards. Good luck! 🙂

• Like 1

Can you see its body? Is so touch the flesh if it does not retract from touch at all it passed.  If you can gently pull the trap door and it does not retract it passed. When you pick it up if it feels lighter than it should as in hollow it has passed.  Hope that helps and crossing my fingers he is ok. 

• Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea  Thank you I will have to remember that trick  next time  I have had one hooked on a rock  and removed the rock and i did not see the snail till a little later i just put them back and they are ok ,,

@Tankeddo not feel bad  maybe all of us can learn when i got my first community fish  ,, i got a very small crawl dad when i did a cleaning of the tank  i accidentally put a big rock on him ,, i felt so bad have not got any more or a shrimp ..

@Guppysnail Thank you very much  my community is so old  and i know the day is coming  but i hate loosing them  I hate saying the snail  is gone for good went to snail heaven ..  i woke  this morning his shell was completely open and his little body was hanging  half out i touched and his whole body melted into the water .. i got the body with my net  and the shell was completely empty i removed the shell but there was no smell  and my ammonia level did not budge  ..  I got into a habit very early checking for ammonia when a snail or fish die  to see if the water is ok ..

Thanks everyone for all the help 

Edited by Bev C
  • Sad 4

On 5/20/2022 at 1:24 PM, Bev C said:

was no small  and my ammonia level did not budge

I’m so sorry Bev. In my long running well seasoned tanks my elderly mystery snails that pass do not smell and my tank and plants eat the ammonia from the passing as fast as it is released.  In my younger tanks or tanks I have recently redone are the only ones that get a smell or ammonia registering. That is why I had to previously search for others methods to determine passing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Guppysnail @Chick-In-Of-TheSea Thank You  i appreciate  the kind words all of us gets attach to our fish  and snails for sure  my first  bristolnose would let me feed him  his vegetable by hand   with the snails I have 6 more netrite  snails they help and do a great job with my algae along with  3 mystery snails   i told my Mom last night i wanted to go to town where the fish shop was and get 2-3 more mystery snails ..looks like i need pick up 1-2 more netrite  too 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 2