Water Changes + Chemicals

Crystal_W

When I do a water change, I treat the amount of water I'm adding to remove chlorine/chloramine. Say I remove 15 gallons, I treat 15 gallons. Right? If I'm also adding something like a Stress Coat to add in beneficial bacteria, do I add the chemical amount for the 15 gallons or for the whole tank? 

Thanks in advance! 

If you're adding the chemicals during a water change, just add enough for the quantity of the change. Personally, for the cases where I have to treat for chlorine (since most of my tanks are in a place we get well water, we don't have to treat for chlorine on those), I treat the water going into the tank, before it goes into the tank. That way there's less chance of some stray chlorine interfering with the fish before the treatment gets to it.

• Thanks 1

Same thing, amount for the water change only. Unless you're dosing the whole tank for the first time, or it's been a while since the last time the chemical was dosed (e.g., a week or two, since chemicals are often designed to break down and/or be consumed by the tank inhabitants), then the whole tank. But, yeah, in general, dose for the amount of new water, since that water hasn't been dosed before.

• Thanks 1

Most directions from the manufacturer on conditioners say if you treat the water in a separate bin and add the conditioner to the bin only treat for the amount in the bin you are using to replace. If you are treating as it goes into the tank and adding the conditioner  to the tank treat for the entire tank volume. Hope that helps. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

If my tank I’m working on is well established I don’t add a beneficial bacteria.  But I also treat for the amount of water I am replacing.  If just topping off a tank because of evaporation I don’t usually add chemicals.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If your source water has chlorine or chloramine, then how much to treat will depend on your water change method.  If you use buckets, treat each bucket with the recommended amount for that volume of water before adding it to the tank.  If you use a hose, treat with the recommended amount for the whole tank, and do it before you start adding water.

As mentioned above, if your tank is cycled there's no need to add anything else (unless you just want to help the companies that make the stuff more money, for no benefit to you).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As said already, no need for anything other than for chlorine removal. It's a pure profit, no help to you scam by these companies to add all this other crap. 

Adding anything else is a waist of time and money.

I always add just about double dose and then test for chlorine before it goes in (replacement water). Some water companies will super chlorinate at times, I can smell it usually. It smells almost as bad as a swimming pool. Most people are lucky over the years (me too) but you never know.

As for top off, RO, because minerals don't evaporate.  A tight fitting lid will keep this to a minimum. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott
  • Thanks 1