Vacation

Cinnebuns

I know of 2 vacations coming up this summer. One will be for 3-7 days depending on how much im feeling like staying at an extended family vacation filled with 10 families lol. The other will just be 2 days for my brother's wedding. 

I know adults would be fine without being fed for that period of time so Im not worried there but what about fry? There are a few things I've considered. What would you do? 

I absolutely 100% do not trust 99.9999999% of people to feed even my adults for me let alone fry. I have a feeling they would end up dead. There is someone I've been making friends with and doing lots of aquarium trades with in a neighboring town. He's about 20 min away. Since he's not directly in town i def wouldn't wanna ask him to feed multiple times a day but maybe once a day would be fine or even every other day.  Although it would slow their growth, it would have the added benefit of creating less waste since I'm also not here to clean. 

Another option is those weekly feeder thingies. I've never actually bought them myself but I did get some tossed in along with a lot of aquarium stuff I bought off marketplace. Would those work for fry? Would that maybe create waste issues tho?

• Like 1

When I left town with fry in the tanks, I had my adult child feed Sera fry food once a day with the spoon from the product below; I figured the spoon made it more certain that "just a pinch" wouldn't be a giant chewing-tobacco sized "pinch". If the aquarium is planted/mature there is probably enough microfood in there to skip days. Yes, it will impact growth rate but I don't believe it will impact their eventual adult size. If your aquarium friend could siphon out a 25-50% water change on one visit during the 7 day trip, that would be great, too. 

1699544491_DialaTreat.jpg.dd28989b9167740b174683bb3ddbdcc1.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 8:53 PM, PineSong said:

When I left town with fry in the tanks, I had my adult child feed Sera fry food once a day with the spoon from the product below; I figured the spoon made it more certain that "just a pinch" wouldn't be a giant chewing-tobacco sized "pinch". If the aquarium is planted/mature there is probably enough microfood in there to skip days. Yes, it will impact growth rate but I don't believe it will impact their eventual adult size. If your aquarium friend could siphon out a 25-50% water change on one visit during the 7 day trip, that would be great, too. 

1699544491_DialaTreat.jpg.dd28989b9167740b174683bb3ddbdcc1.jpg

The fry tank has plants yes but only Java moss, marimo moss balls, and floating water wisteria. Although that's part of the reason for 2 of those plants is to cultivate stuff they can eat.  I wouldn't exactly call them seasoned though. One has only been set up about a month. The other the tank itself I got used a few weeks ago. EVERYTHING in the tank was in a previous tank that got a crack for a little over 2 months. So whatever that calculates to lol. 

On 5/12/2022 at 9:22 PM, Cinnebuns said:

those weekly feeder thingies

If you mean the vacation feeder block…I have heard other say they cause water quality issues.  I have no personal experience with them but recommend starting a thread specifically requesting others experience with those to be on the safe side.  

On 5/12/2022 at 9:22 PM, Cinnebuns said:

There is someone I've been making friends with

Use caution.  I’ve hired house sitters that were vetted by companies and still I should not have trusted them in my home not just with fish. Just because someone is nice and a good fish resource does not mean they or the folks they associate with are trustworthy.  

• Like 2

Do you have a local fish store near you? Maybe if they have some for sale, you could buy a piece of driftwood with or without anubias on it that has been kept in their tanks with their fish (my LFS does this so maybe yours does too). I would wager that would have a good amount of microfood cultivated on it for your fry. I could be totally wrong but that's just me spitballing! 

I just thought of something. I have not yet used live foods but maybe this is the push I need to get into it. I could hatch a bunch of live bbs and put it in before I go. That's something that wouldn't rot so would feed them longer without water issues. Any issues I'm not thinking of? 

On 5/14/2022 at 2:37 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I just thought of something. I have not yet used live foods but maybe this is the push I need to get into it. I could hatch a bunch of live bbs and put it in before I go. That's something that wouldn't rot so would feed them longer without water issues. Any issues I'm not thinking of? 

Brine shrimp usually only  survive for a few hours in freshwater if your going away for a week I would consider an auto feeder 

• Thanks 1