Water changing incident..

SC Fish

So i was getting a few cups of water out (I'm changing 3 cups every 3 days to clear the water back up, working)  and i didnt notice that i got a minnow in the cup until the 3rd cup, i freaked out and poured the minnow back in the tank... it looked shocked , just stayed at the top of tank in a crouching sort of position, i moved the plants to see if he would react, thankfully he did, im hoping this isnt going to cause a big injury, or cause him pain or even kill him, he doesn't appear to be damaged, fins are fine and no scratches (that are blatantly obvious)

this happened about 5 mins ago 

how concerned should i be? any tips?

the minnow is about a year old

• Like 1

This has happened to me.  He is probably just scared.  I often end with guppies in buckets and cups because they are nosey and even have gotten sucked up in my python. He should be fine just keep an eye on him and maybe turn the lights down a bit to make him feel safe. Offer an extra tiny pinch of food to distract him from his fear. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't be too concerned at all, it would be quite normal for him to be shocked after that. I'd be pretty confident that he wasn't injured or hurt at all. If you are removing water manually with just a cup, it sounds very gentle and is good that you put him right back in the tank. I'm sure he's totally fine. If you are worried about him you could turn your lights out for a bit to help him feel calm. 

• Like 1

i used to move the net around after water changes to get some of the floating debris, then as the toilet was closest shake it out over the toilet. one time i got a smaller guppy in there. fished him back out of the toilet, and he lived a nice long life. a quick dip into a cup aint nothing. it'll be fine. 

• Haha 2

Guppy fry routinely get sucked up in my siphon tube, travel down the 10' or so of hose into the bucket, and then get netted out and returned to the tank.  They're fine after all that, so dipping a minnow up in a cup and pouring it back certainly shouldn't be a problem.

On 5/12/2022 at 10:59 AM, Guppysnail said:

This has happened to me.  He is probably just scared.  I often end with guppies in buckets and cups because they are nosey and even have gotten sucked up in my python. He should be fine just keep an eye on him and maybe turn the lights down a bit to make him feel safe. Offer an extra tiny pinch of food to distract him from his fear. 

I feel this. Some are worse than others. I have 1 male that I swear enjoys being scooped up. I will check to make sure he's not there, scoop, look again and somehow he's gotten in. There's always 1 oddball in the family. 

• Haha 1