Water Wisteria

Awhile back I got a bunch of water wisteria I have been floating some in my fry tanks ever since just fine. The problem is in my main tank. Initially I was floating it. I slowly saw less and less of if and now it is very small. I also tried to plant a piece of it. First the leaves fell off and it was just the stem. I have heard it grows different leaves if it's floating or planted so I figured it was just melting and would come back. Eventually the stem fell out of the substrate. There was no roots or anything and the stem was very short. 

I'm thinking about trying to plant it again but I want to make sure I don't just kill it again. What I did was cut off a piece in between 2 of the "nodules" and made sure it was a piece with roots growing. I put the plant in roots down. I dose the tank with easy green, iron supplicment, and root tabs. 

Any ideas why I had the issues or feedback on how I can do better?

WW does not like my planted 29 gallon tank, it grows tall, skinny, and dies. I would guess that the biggest problem is light.  Quality over Quantity?  Unfortunately all but one of my lights are DIY so I can't offer too many details. The LEDs on this tank are about 4000 K.  I believe the planted tank light is too warm. The Wisteria  leaves do seem to change with the amount of light they receive.  So far for me, the cuttings do much better than the parent plants.

My 75 gallon tank has a proper aquarium light that is probably close to full spectrum.  It has two Wisteria, They are growing very slowly, but they are growing.  These plants originated in my project tank.

My 10 gallon no tech project tank was lit by a repurposed LED flash light 14 hrs. daily.  The light wasn't big enough to light the entire tank evenly, but it was a white light.  The rotting Wisteria stub from the planted tank eventually became  a thriving forest.  The tank has pool sand, a light, pest snails, and 1 shot of EG.  In my experience, the WW grows best from planted stems or leaves.   The tank now has a temporary light.  It is quite yellow and was intended  for use on the 29.  The WW is suffering  The algae could not be happier.  Once again it appear to be a matter of quality over quantity.

I've rambled enough, I hope this helps 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 9:22 PM, Cinnebuns said:

. . . What I did was cut off a piece in between 2 of the "nodules" and made sure it was a piece with roots growing. I put the plant in roots down. I dose the tank with easy green, iron supplicment, and root tabs. 

Any ideas why I had the issues or feedback on how I can do better?

How many nodes did the section have?

On 5/10/2022 at 11:34 PM, Odd Duck said:

What are the differences between the tanks?  Lights, filters, current, etc?  Other plants?  Some plants can inhibit growth of other plants (hornwort is often blamed for doing this).

The other tank is stocked with ramshorn snails, guppy and panda cory fry. It gets less fertilizer because I forget it sometime and worse light cause it's only white light. Only other plant is Java moss and moss balls. 

The tank it died away in is my main tank. Gets regularly dosed with easy green and iron supplement. It has full spectrum lighting. Stocked with guppies, honey gourmia, panda cories, mystery snails, Japanese trapdoor snails and nerite snails. Other plants are tiger lotus, water lettuce, amazon sword, anubias Nana petite, and Java fern

On 5/11/2022 at 10:33 AM, JettsPapa said:

How many nodes did the section have?

Tbh I'm not entirely sure. It was awhile ago. I know I made sure the section I planted had some roots growing tho. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 5/11/2022 at 2:50 PM, Cinnebuns said:

mystery snails, Japanese trapdoor snails

I’m not sure, but I think water wisteria might be one of the yummy ones?  Maybe your snails are hitting it in the main tank?  I’m not sure on this one.  I don’t have mysteries or trapdoors in any of the tanks that have wisteria so I don’t know if snails like it or ignore it.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:15 AM, Odd Duck said:

I’m not sure, but I think water wisteria might be one of the yummy ones?  Maybe your snails are hitting it in the main tank?  I’m not sure on this one.  I don’t have mysteries or trapdoors in any of the tanks that have wisteria so I don’t know if snails like it or ignore it.

That's entirely possible. I know mystery snails don't touch MOST healthy plants but some they love too much, like apparently duckweed. 

A friend has some hornwort and might give me some to try tomorrow. Maybe I'll have better luck. 

• Like 1