Yesterday > Halo

Fish Folk

Far, far off topic. But from a fellow NERM. Here you go...

Last night, noodling around online, I learned that the main theme for HALO was invented from a reflection by composer Marty O'Donnell on what made "Yesterday" by the Beatles such a classic, memorable tune. Four small sections . . . one high point . . . one low point. HE wanted something "ancient" so he went with Gregorian Chant, shifted the Beatle's tune into Dorian mode, and created the Halo theme.

Had a minute here today. Thought I'd explore that metamorphosis...

And if you don't believe me, here's O'Donnell explaining it himself...

Now you understand how the world is all connected.

(Ok. Break's over. Let's go care for some fish!)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Fish Folk, you are truly a polymath. My previous forum moderator gig was for a pro audio/music production forum.

Here is a little soundtrack trivia:

Hans Zimmer and Howard Scarr collaborated on a sound set for the u-he Zebra 2 synthesizer, and a modified version of the synth with some custom features. They feature very prominently in The Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises.

It is fun to load up the patches and play with them.

https://u-he.com/products/soundsets/zebra2-soundsets.html

u-he did another cinematic synth sound set collaboration, with Urs Heckmann and Howard Scarr. They designed sounds for composer Johnny Klimek, for a secret movie project. It turned out to be Matrix Resurrections. This was with the u-he Hive 2 synthesizer.

https://u-he.com/products/soundsets/hive-soundsets.html#

I wonder if anyone here will spot these sounds in other projects.

• Thanks 2

@Streetwise those are some pretty interesting digital tools! I half wonder if Jonny Easton threw in some of those effects here. I've been out of the loop a long while with these patches. Did you ever watch on Disney+ the video of how Göransson put together the soundtrack for the Mandalorian? From improvising on guitar . . . to playing around on oversized flutophones in his shower . . . to tinkering around with 1970s analog effects processors . . . thoroughly fascinating soundscape.

Another fun side note . . . HALO 2 Electric guitar was played by Steve Vai. Found this random footage of him backstage with Bungee guys just free-improvising over this theme loop...

Here is the music that will play if you just leave credits go. I swear he sneaks in a modal version of Norwegian Wood at 1:10...

I have truly found my home.

I spent the past week playing with new editing software to figure out how to apply my psychology/vagal nerve knowledge for interrupting trauma responses into sound, by using 4 different channels to generate a "binaural beat" of an ever slowing heart beat (starts at 120 bpm>standard bpm of panic attack ==> decreases to 60 bpm) hidden under the sounds of wind and windchimes.

I need to upgrade my system to get the results I am really aiming for, but the overall response has been positive. 

Now, I can go geek on someone else's work😁

• Love 1