How long does it take for shrimp to revert color if you don't cull?

ReeseADHD

Heyo, I just started a colony of 10 cherry shrimp & I plan on letting them breed uninterrupted in my 44g. I don't plan on culling & I heard that they will revert back to a brownish color if you don't take out the less colorful ones. I'm okay with them reverting back but I'm curious as to how many generations they will stay a redish color.

On 4/27/2022 at 9:38 PM, Lucid_Reese said:

Heyo, I just started a colony of 10 cherry shrimp & I plan on letting them breed uninterrupted in my 44g. I don't plan on culling & I heard that they will revert back to a brownish color if you don't take out the less colorful ones. I'm okay with them reverting back but I'm curious as to how many generations they will stay a redish color.

I don't believe it's possible to give a definitive answer since there are too many variables, starting with the genetics of the shrimp you started with.  In any case, I'd expect to keep getting some red shrimp for quite a while.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 10:49 PM, Widgets said:

I am still waiting for my first shrimplets, so I cannot answer your question; but this post indicates that the tendency to revert to browns might be overstated.

The issue is that people look at it from the perspective that all neo mixes will do this at the same rate. It all depends on the color morph and how close they are genetically to the wild type color and the depth of said wild type color. Mixing certain color types introduces browns sooner down the line than others. 

• Like 4