Am I supposed to quarantine my cherry shrimp?

ReeseADHD

I read Aquarium Co-Ops FAQ for quarantining shrimp & snails but I have a couple questions. Do I need to quarantine cherry shrimp if there are no other existing shrimp in the tank? Also, when it says "Dwarf shrimp can sometimes carry diseases" can those diseases be transferred to fish or only other invertebrates? If the diseases are transmissible to fish would I still need to quarantine if there are no existing fish in the tank for the time being? I know some diseases/parasites can't survive long without a host so would they die out if there's no fish in the aquarium for about a month? 

They only carry disease bacteria to fish from water on the shell.  The shrimp specific ones do not transfer.  It depends on the size tank I’m putting them in.  Things like Scutellaria japonica, elliobiopsidae, fungus etc are easier to spot early in small tanks so each can be seen and treated. If it is a large tank that you cannot locate each shrimp everyday to inspect closely I would qt in a seasoned qt.  If you do not have a seasoned qt there is not enough biofilm algae etc for them. Hope that helps

• Like 3

I always recommend QTing anything new, regardless if it's the first thing, only thing or solo of it's type. You don't know what it's bringing in, and it's better to be safe and QT to watch your new fauna before introducing them into their final home without knowing what they might be bringing with them.

• Like 2

If I am adding shrimp to an established colony, I will prep beforehand by running a second sponge filter for a month and not trimming plants until the new shrimp come in. Then I can move plant trimmings and the seasoned sponge filter to a sterilite tub or a QT tank.

I just got new shrimp, to start a new colony. I observed them safely molt in the drip acclimation container, watched them eat biofilm off the plants I provided, and used the macro capability on the camera to look for any indications of injuries or disease. Since they were going into a tank with only snails and microfauna as inhabitants --and there are no indicators of any issues in their carapace or newly revealed shells after successful molts-- I made the decision to put them into their new home. When the rest of the shrimp come in, they will be going into a QT tank for observation for 30 days, so I don't risk the ones I already got... especially as I am expecting/hoping for shrimplettes in 30 days based on observed behaviors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1