Berried Amano Shrimp - sooo many eggs! What's next?

Opal Rae

Maybe I am over thinking this... but I did not expect this. I have 2 berried amano shrimp in my 20 gallon long blackwater community tank. I keep amanos in other tanks, but this is the first time having berried ladies. I have done some research and understand the requirements/difficulty of raising them and I am not sure if I want to take it on. I am curious about the larvae hatching, surviving in freshwater for up to 5-8 days, and the impact on water quality. The stock in the tank includes 4 sparkling gourami, 10 sundadanio axelrodi, 15 boraras merah/brigittae and 12 diamond head neon tetra. These guys are all hunters and enjoy a variety of live foods. I know they will eat the larvae, but there could be thousands of them. 

Water quality is my main concern as this tank has really hit its sweet spot and is running like a dream. If I see them as a food source, do I do anything beyond normal tank maintenance and monitoring water parameters when the hatch happens? OR Should I take the leap and try to raise them? Anyone have success? 

amano eggs.jpg

berried amano.jpg

On 4/23/2022 at 10:00 AM, lefty o said:

they wont hatch, not in fresh water at least.

I have read that they hatch in freshwater as larvae and can survive up to 5 days before they need to be transferred/introduced to brackish water. Really, I am more interested in them as potential food!  

On 4/23/2022 at 8:14 AM, Opal Rae said:

I have read that they hatch in freshwater as larvae and can survive up to 5 days before they need to be transferred/introduced to brackish water. Really, I am more interested in them as potential food!  

yep.  They will definitely be around for 3-4 days. You'll see these very small things flickering around. If you have tetras or smaller fish like that in the tank they *should* eat it.  Mine never have. 

It's pretty crazy when you have a lot of amanos and they all tend to be females and they all tend to release back to back to back.

On 4/23/2022 at 7:42 AM, Opal Rae said:

If I see them as a food source, do I do anything beyond normal tank maintenance and monitoring water parameters when the hatch happens? OR Should I take the leap and try to raise them? Anyone have success? 

The biggest hurdle for me was specifically just not having the green water they need. I tried frozen versions of the food but it just never worked out.  I got them to last about a week, some 10 days, but never fully formed.

i have had them in the past then transferred them to saltwater at  day 14-ish, they did not live in the saltwater, course it also had no algae  etc.

right now i have tons of babies in a small amano only, planted, non filtered tank. lots of algae and i can SEE them feeding on the few pieces of  algae covered lava rock i have in the bottom of their tank. they've been in there about a week. I'll let you know how they do

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 5:29 PM, SandSea said:

i have had them in the past then transferred them to saltwater at  day 14-ish, they did not live in the saltwater, course it also had no algae  etc.

right now i have tons of babies in a small amano only, planted, non filtered tank. lots of algae and i can SEE them feeding on the few pieces of  algae covered lava rock i have in the bottom of their tank. they've been in there about a week. I'll let you know how they do

Thanks for the info. I am definitely interested in seeing how it goes!

They are so cute and tiny! At first I thought what the heck I just did a big gravel vac and water change what are all these darn bugs in my tank so then I took out a 5 Power Loop and wow itty-bitty shrimp. I have only heard of two people who found young Amanos  in their planted tank , you know like maybe they only had a couple of adults and then six months later they find one or two teenage sized Amanos and they thought wow these must’ve hatched and grown out in my tank and it was purely accidental. I felt so bad before when they died in the saltwater, after all they had been doing just fine in the little tank for two whole weeks without my intervention

Edited by SandSea
  • Like 1

i dont remember. it was what i'd heard you should do on a youtube vid. i took my butt out, bought ocean salt and two hydometers  etc.  i think i did it gradually over the day, but the next day they were not alive 😞, it would be pretty  neat if any live this time!

• Like 1