Ink bird controller and water changes

JessLynne7

I just purchased and ink bird 306t heater controller for my fw tank.

I am super paranoid when it comes to heaters in the water. So much so I should probably get a cold water tank. 

My question is when I do water ch ages I have a power strip I turn off and it kills the heater, filter, light etc. 

My new ink bird will be plugged into that strip and heater into the ink bird.

can I still turn off the power strip. Will I have to reset the ink bird every time or will it retain its previous settings. 

Do you all have any advice on ink birds and water changes. 

also does anyone take their heater and lay it down on gravel when cleaning!?

Mine is vertical well kind it’s an ehiem jagger and it’s long so it’s at a 45 degree angle. Any help is much appreciated thanks In advance 

I have 6 inkbird non WiFi.306T I love them and would not run a heated tank without them. They have saved countless tanks. It is never if a heater will fail always when it will fail and how. I set mine 1 degree above where I want my water temp max. That way I know if the heater begins to fail because I’ll see the temp go to high. That makes the inkbird a fail safe rather than a controller. They retain set temps when power is out. I used to have long heaters that I would lay on the substrate plugged in because I am notorious for forgetting to plug them back in. Now I use 2 shorter ones lower wattage to protect against 1 failing, more evenly heat my tanks and so I don’t have to worry about the waterline when water changing. I never noticed any performance or longevity. Issues caused by doing so. Hope that helps. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2022 at 6:01 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have 6 inkbird non WiFi.306T I love them and would not run a heated tank without them. They have saved countless tanks. It is never if a heater will fail always when it will fail and how. I set mine 1 degree above where I want my water temp max. That way I know if the heater begins to fail because I’ll see the temp go to high. That makes the inkbird a fail safe rather than a controller. They retain set temps when power is out. I used to have long heaters that I would lay on the substrate plugged in because I am notorious for forgetting to plug them back in. Now I use 2 shorter ones lower wattage to protect against 1 failing, more evenly heat my tanks and so I don’t have to worry about the waterline when water changing. I never noticed any performance or longevity. Issues caused by doing so. Hope that helps. 

@Guppysnail

that does help. I was going to set the heater higher than controller that way of controller failed the heater would kick on. But your saying you let the heater do the work by setting it lower and I l bird higher that way inkbird is only kicking on of heater fails to turn on?! What if heater goes too hot!? Would the inkbird turn it off? I’m scared to death to lay the heater horizontally under the water! Idk my mom scared me about fires when I was a kid and now I’m over cautious and paranoid.

so when you change your water you leave your heat and inkbird on bc your water doesn’t drop below min water level correct?  Also have you ever unplugged your inkbird and did you have to reset it everytime it’s unplugged or say power goes out etc ect

On 4/20/2022 at 6:35 AM, JessLynne7 said:

@Guppysnail

that does help. I was going to set the heater higher than controller that way of controller failed the heater would kick on. But your saying you let the heater do the work by setting it lower and I l bird higher that way inkbird is only kicking on of heater fails to turn on?! What if heater goes too hot!? Would the inkbird turn it off? I’m scared to death to lay the heater horizontally under the water! Idk my mom scared me about fires when I was a kid and now I’m over cautious and paranoid.

so when you change your water you leave your heat and inkbird on bc your water doesn’t drop below min water level correct?  Also have you ever unplugged your inkbird and did you have to reset it everytime it’s unplugged or say power goes out etc ect

@Guppysnail

sorry I misread I see where you said when power went out it retained settings lol

The inkbird works best by killing power to the plug outlet when the heater thermostat fails to turn off. It is more a high temp protection than low temp. If you try to use it low temp to kick on power it never gets warmer and leaves you with only one control vs heater kicking itself off at correct temp, fail, inkbird kills it. If the heater fails and does not turn on the inkbird turning power onto the plug it does not force it to turn on. I hope that makes sense. 

Even unplugged it remembers settings. My heaters are all placed lower than I will ever lower the water line during wc. They are 45 degree or horizontal 

• Like 1

This might help. Sometimes I word things confusing.  The top number is the actual tank temp regulated by the thermostat built into the heater. The bottom number is inkbird temp. If the tank gets hotter than that the bottom temp I choose it shuts power off to the plug. When the tank temp drops below my inkbird temp power turns back on. Inkbirds can also be calibrated. You can also choose if you want a 1-2-3 etc degree variance between it shutting off and turning back on. I use 1 degree. So set point on heater is at 77. I set inkbird at 78.  It hits 78.1 power is turned off.  Once tank reaches 76 it turns power back on. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 4/20/2022 at 6:52 AM, Guppysnail said:

This might help. Sometimes I word things confusing.  The top number is the actual tank temp regulated by the thermostat built into the heater. The bottom number is inkbird temp. If the tank gets hotter than that the bottom temp I choose it shuts power off to the plug. When the tank temp drops below my inkbird temp power turns back on. Inkbirds can also be calibrated. You can also choose if you want a 1-2-3 etc degree variance between it shutting off and turning back on. I use 1 degree. So set point on heater is at 77. I set inkbird at 78.  It hits 78.1 power is turned off.  Once tank reaches 76 it turns power back on. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

@Guppysnail

your explaining this very well I just have not had my coffee lol.

so let’s say I want the tank to be at 76 degrees with a 2 degree variance.

I would set my heater at 76 and inkbird at 78. My heater does all the work turning on and off but if my heater doesn’t turn off at 76 and reaches 78-80 the inkbird turns it off?

as for not turning on well inkbird does nothing!? Which is ok and easily fixed by adding a heater

You got it. That is exactly how it works. Kind of like a light bulb. If it burns out nothing turns it on. Fish can survive lowered temps much longer than overheating but that’s why I use 2 smaller heaters so if one burns out I have a fail safe. Coop did a heater video explaining the 2 heater system but I can’t find it. I’m still working on my first cuppa coffe as well 🤣

On 4/20/2022 at 7:12 AM, Guppysnail said:

You got it. That is exactly how it works. Kind of like a light bulb. If it burns out nothing turns it on. Fish can survive lowered temps much longer than overheating but that’s why I use 2 smaller heaters so if one burns out I have a fail safe. Coop did a heater video explaining the 2 heater system but I can’t find it. I’m still working on my first cuppa coffe as well 🤣

@Guppysnail

i saw that video and would like to switch to a two heater system I just need another heater.

I have a 10 gallon with a Fluval 50watt

i have a second Fluval 50 watt never removed from the box.

I have a 100 watt jagger in my 20 long. 

and the inkbird is arriving today. 

I can plug two heaters into the inkbird I think. I got the one that has two outlet and one probe and controller and heat only.

also where do you keep your probe? Close to heater or far away! Just curious 

I still am so close to just saying screw it and doing a cold water tank lol

I keep the probe away from the heater wherever it’s least noticeable if you put it to close or above the heater the tank will read higher temp than it is when the heater is on trying to heat. On 10 g I run one heater only. Just no room for 2. For a 20 2x 50 watt are fine it’s what I use. I position my heaters either 45 degree if no room or horizontal about and inch or two from the substrate. 

On 4/20/2022 at 7:41 AM, Guppysnail said:

I keep the probe away from the heater wherever it’s least noticeable if you put it to close or above the heater the tank will read higher temp than it is when the heater is on trying to heat. On 10 g I run one heater only. Just no room for 2. For a 20 2x 50 watt are fine it’s what I use. I position my heaters either 45 degree if no room or horizontal about and inch or two from the substrate. 

Good to know thank you for all your help.

i currently have a betta in my 10g- I lost my pleco sadly after three years.

I upgraded and am sitting up a 20 long. I am so torn bc I either want to do a BN pleco, betta and small school of rasbora. Or do a paradise fish and BN pleco cold water tank.

idk what to do.

I love my lemon bn I won’t do betta anymore they just do not seem strong or well cared for when purchased like they used to be and their lifespan is so short. I keep Celestial Pearl danios mystery snails and shrimp in one tank (with breeding pleco)that is just super fun. 

Edited by Guppysnail

On 4/20/2022 at 8:54 AM, Guppysnail said:

I love my lemon bn I won’t do betta anymore they just do not seem strong or well cared for when purchased like they used to be and their lifespan is so short. I keep Celestial Pearl danios mystery snails and shrimp in one tank (with breeding pleco)that is just super fun. 

That sounds awesome

i love plecos.

I have never had anything but betas or plecos and I am really thinking I need to get out of my box and try the paradise fish and the pleco together and see how it goes. I wonder is a small school of white clouds would survive with it!

those celestial petal danios are so cool

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 11:55 AM, Wrencher_Scott said:

@JessLynne7

My Inkbird doesn't loose memory with no power. 

I use it like a safety too, set it a bit higher than the heater so if it sticks on it will kill the heat. 

Your the second person to suggest that and it sounds like a good plan

You have had some luck with titanium then

Hi JessLynne,

I switched over to using Inkbirds, and use them in the same fashion as Guppysnail (As a failsafe, instead of a controller). The only thing I want to add is in regards to the 308 vs. 306...both Non-wifi.

The 308 allows high and low alarms to be set. I use this in a tank with a single heater. This way, if the single heater fails to turn on, the low alarm will sound and alert me the heater has failed. (The 308 has a "cooling" outlet plug in addition, but I don't use it.)

I use the 306 in the tanks with 2 heaters. If I heater fails off, The other heater should continue to maintain temp, or close to it. I don't see the need for the alarm as urgently, since it has a 2nd heater.

Just something that may be worth thinking about.

On 4/20/2022 at 1:48 PM, quikv6 said:

Hi JessLynne,

I switched over to using Inkbirds, and use them in the same fashion as Guppysnail (As a failsafe, instead of a controller). The only thing I want to add is in regards to the 308 vs. 306...both Non-wifi.

The 308 allows high and low alarms to be set. I use this in a tank with a single heater. This way, if the single heater fails to turn on, the low alarm will sound and alert me the heater has failed. (The 308 has a "cooling" outlet plug in addition, but I don't use it.)

I use the 306 in the tanks with 2 heaters. If I heater fails off, The other heater should continue to maintain temp, or close to it. I don't see the need for the alarm as urgently, since it has a 2nd heater.

Just something that may be worth thinking about.

This has all been great advice you guys are keeping awesome tanks and have great ideas 

On 4/20/2022 at 12:03 PM, Apulo said:

I solved my fear of exploding heaters by getting titanium heaters and connecting them to a heater controller lol

Good idea too

I love my inkbird controller ,,  I have had mine for 4 -5 years now still working well  but if it ever goes dead ordering one the same day 

before my inkbird  in my older tank & older heater  it over heated and fried half my fish the other half barely made it  I promise myself never have a heater without a controller 

I like my tank at 78 i have inkbird set if it gets 79 to turn off ..  i have mine plug in to power strip and turn it off completely at water change and it remembers the setting ,, i have my heater in the middle so i put the water probe on the one of the ends The probe suction cup stop sticking to glass but i tied a loop in probe cord and add around a suction cup 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 2:45 PM, Bev C said:

I love my inkbird controller ,,  I have had mine for 4 -5 years now still working well  but if it ever goes dead ordering one the same day 

before my inkbird  in my older tank & older heater  it over heated and fried half my fish the other half barely made it  I promise myself never have a heater without a controller 

I like my tank at 78 i have inkbird set if it gets 79 to turn off ..  i have mine plug in to power strip and turn it off completely at water change and it remembers the setting ,, i have my heater in the middle so i put the water probe on the one of the ends The probe suction cup stop sticking to glass but i tied a loop in probe cord and add around a suction cup 

That’s awesome I’ve heard a lot of good things about these controllers

@JessLynne7  yes i just love mine i fell safer for my tank with.it . plus i have another heater  like the one i have for backup in case the one i have stops working  

I learn from trail and mistakes to have backups of heater, filter and filter media specially if you do not live close to town  nearest big town on both directions for me  is 40-50 miles  and my fish store 1-2 hours away that is why amazon and Aquarium Coop gets me as frequent buyer of fish supplies 

they have several inkbirds controllers but make sure get you the ones for aquarium use or the probe will rust 

Edited by Bev C

Inkbird controller on my salt tank and my 125g tank. I use it with the probe in the tank and the heaters in my sump. 

When it comes to heaters IDC what one you get IMO it should be on a external controller and it MUST be in a high flow area. Low to no flow is the #1 killer of heaters. they end up flipping on and off and burn themselves up. its basically a heavy duty light bulb that only has so many cycles in it. so with water movement you prolong the on off cycle thus extending your heater life. also make sure you turn the heaters internal temp to max. if you do not have the inkbird probe in the same location as the heater. i had a situation when if first went to this setup that the heater was shutting itself off at 78 degrees in the sump but by the time the inkbird probe got the water it was only at 76degrees. took me a minute to figure that out... many many minutes....  all in all after turning them up it keeps my tanks at the perfect temperature. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 10:21 AM, Bev C said:

@JessLynne7  yes i just love mine i fell safer for my tank with.it . plus i have another heater  like the one i have for backup in case the one i have stops working  

I learn from trail and mistakes to have backups of heater, filter and filter media specially if you do not live close to town  nearest big town on both directions for me  is 40-50 miles  and my fish store 1-2 hours away that is why amazon and Aquarium Coop gets me as frequent buyer of fish supplies 

they have several inkbirds controllers but make sure get you the ones for aquarium use or the probe will rust 

Thanks it said it was for aquarium and probe is plastic so I think I did ok.

im real nervous about heaters so I’m glad I decided to invest and it’s good to hear users experience.

I accidentally ordered extra pumps and heaters and ended up keeping them. I’m glad I did bc your so right about needing things at the worst of times 

On 4/21/2022 at 10:28 AM, Joexemm said:

Inkbird controller on my salt tank and my 125g tank. I use it with the probe in the tank and the heaters in my sump. 

When it comes to heaters IDC what one you get IMO it should be on a external controller and it MUST be in a high flow area. Low to no flow is the #1 killer of heaters. they end up flipping on and off and burn themselves up. its basically a heavy duty light bulb that only has so many cycles in it. so with water movement you prolong the on off cycle thus extending your heater life. also make sure you turn the heaters internal temp to max. if you do not have the inkbird probe in the same location as the heater. i had a situation when if first went to this setup that the heater was shutting itself off at 78 degrees in the sump but by the time the inkbird probe got the water it was only at 76degrees. took me a minute to figure that out... many many minutes....  all in all after turning them up it keeps my tanks at the perfect temperature. 

That’s good advice.

I don’t have a sump or anything big but the one tank only has a sponge filter and I worry about flow in that tank.

im doing the best I can and going to play around until I figure out the best set up

• Like 1
  • Love 1

You may want to turn the heater on a 45 degree angle, or fully horizontal. Vertically placed heaters seem to be ore likely to short-cycle, based on where the thermostat control is placed within the heater. Heat goes straight up to it, and then is shuts off right away. If you have good flow, this shouldn't be an issue, so you may want to place the heater next to the sponge filter.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 11:11 AM, quikv6 said:

You may want to turn the heater on a 45 degree angle, or fully horizontal. Vertically placed heaters seem to be ore likely to short-cycle, based on where the thermostat control is placed within the heater. Heat goes straight up to it, and then is shuts off right away. If you have good flow, this shouldn't be an issue, so you may want to place the heater next to the sponge filter.

That’s good advice too

in gonna look into moving it

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 6:01 AM, Guppysnail said:

I had one a while ago before we moved. I quit using it because the prob lost calibration and would say my tank was way warmer than it was. I may have to order another one, could be I had one go bad on me....Def something I'll keep an eye on!

Edited by MadMaxi