Dark/Natural Inert Substrate Options

Tihshho

On 4/21/2022 at 12:10 PM, Tihshho said:

The issue I had with BDBS is the oil slick that seemed to be persistent. I could soak overnight after doing some rinses and I'd still get the oil slick at the top of the soaking bucket. Days of soaking and rinsing I still had some oil film that pushed me to make the call on bailing from the substrate for the tank it was intended. Just to be safe the bucket was also retired from fish use. From my understanding BDBS is a coal based media that can/has gone through some pretty caustic chemical cleaning and depending on the batch and coal source. Everyone will always various results when cleaning it. With the experience I had, I personally won't be using the substrate again.

I’ve used probably at least 6 or 7 of the 50 pound bags so far, bought at 3 or 4 different times between 9 different tanks with it, and I’ve not had any oil slick after rinsing.  🤷🏻‍♀️  I haven’t let it sit with water in it, though, I just put it in the tank and used it.  I’ve not had anything but the very slightest, very transient, oil film while rinsing.  I have let leftovers sit in a bucket damp (or until it dried out), then used it to fill in or fiddle with the aquascape and not had any issues.  Have you had persistent oil film while rinsing, or only after letting it sit in water?  Are you rinsing until the water runs clear?  Are you fluidizing all parts of the sand vigorously while rinsing?

I agitate the substrate with my hand as clean water runs into the bucket. As any fine particles, dust etc get caught in the water column I pour it off and restart the agitation.

I actually think I found the perfect substrate that has the aesthetic I'm after. I've not finished cleaning the last bags of it as it has gotten late, but hopefully I'll have a picture of it in the next day or so.

On 4/22/2022 at 1:10 AM, Tihshho said:

The issue I had with BDBS is the oil slick that seemed to be persistent. I could soak overnight after doing some rinses and I'd still get the oil slick at the top of the soaking bucket. Days of soaking and rinsing I still had some oil film that pushed me to make the call on bailing from the substrate for the tank it was intended.

I had the same problem with my coarse black volcanic sand/gravel substrate (not BDBS). No matter how long or well I rinsed it, some oily stuff on the surface of the water remained. I used the substrate anyways and it was ok... it's still in all my display tanks, no issues.