Stocking a 20 gallon long

Nebula

After looking into fish to breed, I fell on wanting to do honey gouramis but my main fish were gonna be plaited to keep the tank clean. But since the plates breed like mad I’m worried my attempts to breed honey gouramis may be tempered by the platys fishes growth. I was thinking instead to get phantom tetras they seemed really eye catching and would not change their numbers . But I’m worried they may be fin nippers or particularly harassing. Anyone have experience of keeping them in a tank with honey gouramis or other larger docile fish? 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 2:01 PM, Nebula said:

After looking into fish to breed, I fell on wanting to do honey gouramis but my main fish were gonna be plaited to keep the tank clean. But since the plates breed like mad I’m worried my attempts to breed honey gouramis may be tempered by the platys fishes growth. I was thinking instead to get phantom tetras they seemed really eye catching and would not change their numbers . But I’m worried they may be fin nippers or particularly harassing. Anyone have experience of keeping them in a tank with honey gouramis or other larger docile fish? 

I want to encourage your efforts! You'll learn that anabantids (Gouramis, Bettas, etc) tend to produce very tiny fry that easily become prey to any other fish. Your best option is to allow the Gourami to spawn and raise fry in their own protected space.

One thing that I've tried in the past is using Matten-filter aquarium-designed foam dividers to make a long sized tank into multiple tanks.

1825536337_ScreenShot2022-04-12at5_18_04PM.png.ef8ee568a670e78ce004cc3b315f769f.png

For example, here is a 33 gal long...

999985463_ScreenShot2021-03-28at11_00_31PM.png.61d56255c582ebdc497d896b15b3d5e6.png

And this is what this tank looks like divided into three parts...

94992798_ScreenShot2021-03-27at10_47_50PM.png.9014a46ef3dbb87bf563d66483007968.png

You could try this with your 20 gal long. Place Platys on one side, and Honey Gourami on the other. Water can flow through the matten foam, so it maintains temperature. Plus it builds up bio.

I just did this yesterday on the same tank pictured above which is now an Emerald Killifish colony / breeding tank on the left and an annual Killifish (Nothobranchius guentheri) breeding tank on the right...

1813287994_ScreenShot2022-04-12at5_21_50PM.png.99374cffe0e26c67e4afe25d669066cd.png

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Agreed. I think specifically for breeding having a species only setup is going to be best for you. (following what dean does is a perfect example).  I have done some colony type setups where it's a community tank, but I bred out one of the fish as well. You're going to have limited success as a result of that. Colony breeding (species only tank) or having proper breeding tanks is going to be your best method for success.

If your concern is specifically just having something in the tank to help keep things "cleaned" I would just add some amano shrimp and not another species of fish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm in agreement with the others on this. Usually I'll go with community tanks for displays in the living room... or kitchen.. or bedroom... or home office, ( 🤣  )but for breeding projects I'll set up species only tanks. For me it just makes the process of taking care of and conditioning the parents, and separating the fry or eggs (if necessary for the species type) much easier. 

If you don't have the space a divided tank can make a good option. 

• Like 1