undergravel filter tips

pictish_samurai

The great thing about UGF, and probably why they were popular for so long, is they are pretty well plug and play.  Put the plates in, substrate (nothing that breaks down, and don't use anything too fine), put in the airlifts and stone, cycle, and done.  Can help to gravel vac, and may not be the best filter for strongly digging species.  Other than that they are pretty easy.

UGFs are so simple that there aren't too many tricks.  I prefer using a powerhead(s) on mine.  While not required, it is the only way to know how much water is moving through the filter. Powerheads also allow you to cut the lift tube to any height allowing you to hide it behind decorations if you desire.  Many come with a air tube to draw in air further removing the need for external air pumps and tubing.  If the air tube proves to be too noisy, a valve or a tiny piece of cotton or sponge inserted into the end of the tube will stop the whistle. 

• Like 2

On 4/11/2022 at 8:39 AM, Tanked said:

While not required, it is the only way to know how much water is moving through the filter.

I've been using diy uplift tubes (and UGFs) that go just above the water surface to monitor the flow. I'm not sure exactly how much is going thru it, but I get a good idea.

GIF-220404_013748.gif.98604222d26f8b339233333c61e9db5e.gif

This uplift tube is in a 1 gallon jar I setup with a small UGF, for baby guppies. 

Edited by R Budds
  • Like 3

I have UGFs in a 120. The tank is 6 feet long, so the UGF has 3 plates, each less than 2 feet long. I use small powerheads ($11 each) on three tubes, one for each plate. The tank background is black, so I sprayed the tubes with black plasti-dip.

The UGF is extra bio-filtration which helps keep the water very clear. I also have two canister filters on the tank.

When I change the water, I clean the top of the substrate, but I do not do a deep gravel vac. The gravel is the filter media for the UGF, so it is best not disturbed. I like the articles at aquariumscience.org on UGFs. 

• Like 2