subwassertang wall at ocean aquarium

On 4/1/2022 at 10:25 AM, Jacob Hill said:

Does anyone know how to make these subwassertang walls that look really cool?

I will second this.... yes please.

Jimmy did have a video on a method to make this happen (quilting mesh siliconed or suction cupped to the back wall.  I have always wanted to get that going and very, very, very, very soon will be something I push towards.

found it:

Edited by nabokovfan87
found the vid
  • Thanks 1

My susswassertang has done the best when it’s attached itself to something and then it grows like a weed.  That’s usually something I DON’T want it to attach to rather than something I DO want it to attach to.  I do have a nice chunk growing on a driftwood in my hummingbird tetra QT tank.  I actually haven't tried to manipulate it much other than plucking it off where I don’t want it growing and plopping it back into a tank (does that qualify as manipulating?  😝 😂).

It grows rather unpredictably for me, but it would make a beautiful wall.  I don’t know if it will dry start or not, but that might be something to explore.  I’m quite certain it would need a continuously operating fogger and a lot of spraying to keep it anywhere close to its submerse form.  I think it might be better behind mesh and kept submerse.

I’d bet you could spread some out onto a matten filter and tack a layer of mesh over it to keep it in place until it starts growing.  You probably wouldn’t even need to use the foam as a matten filter, just attach it to the back or side wall, whichever you wanted.  Or sandwich it between craft mesh, which comes in colors - black or dark green would be good.  I know I’ve seen black and light green, I can’t remember if they make dark green.

Here’s my susswassertang’s best effort, yet.  I can’t really claim it as my work since I only discovered it after unearthing this piece from a heavy over layer of Ludwigia in another tank.  The tannins are for the hummingbird tetras that are about to go into their species only tank.  I’m still watching them since one of them doesn’t look quite right today, plus I just added plants to their eventual tank and I want to make sure they don’t do a fast melt.

278E6CE1-46A9-4A68-A87C-41C8C00C1249.jpeg

Notice the bits of Fissidens tagging along in the middle, there?  Might be F. taiwan?  It’s another hitchhiker.  They must like that wood.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

I've created several Subwassertang vines for my various tanks.  From my experience, a wall shouldn't be too hard.  I imagine you would follow an approach similar to a java moss wall, only with a mesh with larger holes.  Basically, two sheets of mesh with Subwassertang sandwiched in between.  The great thing about this plant is it is practically unkillable.  Apart from drying it out, it will continue to grow and propagate.  Good luck!

20220401-0230020030.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 3

On 4/1/2022 at 12:38 PM, Martin said:

The great thing about this plant is it is practically unkillable.

its definitely all depending on where you get it and the quality of that bit. I got some from a trusted source and it was like trimmings or something, so fine that I couldn't glue it.

I am always waiting for it to be in stock, I ordered the mesh.... now I just need to get some suss!

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 2:10 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I will second this.... yes please.

Jimmy did have a video on a method to make this happen (quilting mesh siliconed or suction cupped to the back wall.  I have always wanted to get that going and very, very, very, very soon will be something I push towards.

found it:

Thanks for the reply and video link I’ll check it out. Good luck with making one for yourself, if it works out it will look amazing.

On 4/1/2022 at 3:38 PM, Martin said:

I've created several Subwassertang vines for my various tanks.  From my experience, a wall shouldn't be too hard.  I imagine you would follow an approach similar to a java moss wall, only with a mesh with larger holes.  Basically, two sheets of mesh with Subwassertang sandwiched in between.  The great thing about this plant is it is practically unkillable.  Apart from drying it out, it will continue to grow and propagate.  Good luck!

20220401-0230020030.jpg

Your tank looks amazing thanks for the mesh tip I’ll probably try that.

On 4/1/2022 at 3:38 PM, Martin said:

20220401-0230020030.jpg

Also how would I attach the mesh wall to the side of my tank?

On 4/2/2022 at 6:03 PM, Jacob Hill said:

The one in Jimmy's video has suction cups to attach it.

Another option is to use silicone to attach the Back mesh and then use zip ties or something to attach the front mesh (or glue the moss to the mesh itself like anything else)

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 8:03 PM, Jacob Hill said:

I would zip tie all 4 corners of the wall.  On the top two corners, hold it up via suction cups as mentioned above.  On the bottom two zipties, I would wrap lead weights around them and bury them in the substrate.  This would help to prevent any animal life burrowing behind the wall and either dying there or disturbing it.  Not foolproof, but it would help.  Good luck and send us pics!

• Like 1