ID Tetra's Illness

therealrigo

Hello, 

Recently transferred by Silver Tips from my 45G to my new 72G. However, I had to move them into a running quarantine tank for about two days before I moved them into the new 72G.  All parameters are into the safe/good levels per the Co-Op's testing strips from the 72G and quarantine. 

All being said, one of the Silver Tips is looking less than ideal/healthy since the transfer into the 72G. I wonder if the recent moves into tanks may have stressed it into sickness, and if leaving it there may help it recover.

The 72G is a really tall cylinder tank, so I would need to drain a lot of the tank in order to net the one Silver Tip. 

Could the community please advise? The one Silver Tip seems to have lost some color; white/pink circular shaped spots on body and caudal peduncle; fish swimming slower than group but still eating and seemingly active; and, red gills as compared to other Silver Tips. 

I would like to salt in case it is external may be improved by salt, but I have plants; so no? Please advise. 

IMG_0782.jpeg

IMG_0785.jpeg

IMG_0788.jpeg

IMG_0789.jpeg

IMG_0791.jpeg

IMG_0792.jpeg

IMG_0796.jpeg

Could be a bacterial infections or ammonia burn with the red Gill's if it's a bacterial infections I would treat with kanaplex in food I would test your water for ammonia if you can as  the co-op test 6 in 1 test strip doesn't test for that just in case something off

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu

On 3/24/2022 at 7:15 PM, Colu said:

Could be a bacterial infections or ammonia burn with the red Gill's if it's a bacterial infections I would treat with kanaplex in food I would test your water for ammonia if you can as  the co-op test 6 in 1 test strip doesn't test for that just in case something off

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

No ammonia per the strip tests.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear in the testing explanation. I noticed about two more tetras developing this fuzzy spots. I don't have access to that medication, so I'll try this per the co-op:

"Aquarium plants generally do not well with salt (or sodium chloride), but a concentration of 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water is generally considered to be safe."

I wanted to use salt but because of my plants, I hesitated. However, either way my fish may die if this keeps spreading so I should give it a try--I figure I can always replant my tank if the salt proves too detrimental to the plants and I only have a few fish thus far. 

Wish me luck!